Dangerous Walkways

DogNo1

On 8/22/2023 at 9:14 PM, DogNo1 said:

Bangkok's walkways are made very dangerous by beggars with their children sitting exactly at the corners making it hard for you to make a turn without stopping to give them money.  Even though there are handrails , you can't use them because of the beggars blocking your way.  The other day, I tried to turn and go down the three step connection from the Ploenchit walkway to the bridge over Wireless Road.  There were old ladies with their young boys blocking both the left and right corners leaving about three feet in the middle to get by.  Just as I started down the three steps a tourist walking toward me suddenly stopped.  To avoid walking into him I stopped sufdenly, lost my balance and fell backwards.  Fortunately I wasn't hurt and was able to get up and continue on.   Today, when I turned at the corner, there was a young girl playing with a ball at the left corner but I was able to get by on the right.  I am quite old and worry about breaking a bone.  I complained to security at my hotel but they just laughed at me. 

I got the number of the tourist police from the front desk and plan to call them and complain.  I wonder if they will take action to clear the walkways.  There is no convenient way to cross Ploenchit without taking the skyway.   Is there any way to keep the beggars from blocking the walkways?.

Firstly, give them the chance to move, if they won't then just walk right through them though just be careful of old folk and young children.

I complained to security at my hotel but they just laughed at me. 

I got the number of the tourist police from the front desk and plan to call them and complain.  I wonder if they will take action to clear the walkways.

No, they too will laugh at you... if, they are not utterly bamoozled and confused by your call...

Thailand is a developing nation, this means much of the country is under developed and getting around is not really something authorities been concerned about. 

Thailand is certainly not designed for the infirm or disabled. 

This hit home when I had a child and attempted to walk to nearby places with a pushchair. 

Where the pavements (side walks) were physically navigable, they were made perilous by motorcyclsits...  crossing the road, forget it, not with a child in a push chair...

... and in many sub-soi's there simply is no pavement at all and we were 'weaving in with the traffic'... 

A ridiculous situation... 

The only safe option - drive or be driven (taxi)... this seems utterly ridiculous, but its serves as a perfect example.... I used to drive across the road for lunch (with my Son) rather than walk across the road with a pushchair ??... Over reaction?... it wasn't. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

The problem is, he is "old folk".

I suppose I'm "old folk" too, but it never stops me from walking through people who are standing blocking the pavement, the Chinese were bad at this when they were here, they are not going to force me on the the road to get past.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No, they too will laugh at you... if, they are not utterly bamoozled and confused by your call...

Thailand is a developing nation, this means much of the country is under developed and getting around is not really something authorities been concerned about. 

Thailand is certainly not designed for the infirm or disabled. 

This hit home when I had a child and attempted to walk to nearby places with a pushchair. 

Where the pavements (side walks) were physically navigable, they were made perilous by motorcyclsits...  crossing the road, forget it, not with a child in a push chair...

... and in many sub-soi's there simply is no pavement at all and we were 'weaving in with the traffic'... 

A ridiculous situation... 

The only safe option - drive or be driven (taxi)... this seems utterly ridiculous, but its serves as a perfect example.... I used to drive across the road for lunch (with my Son) rather than walk across the road with a pushchair ??... Over reaction?... it wasn't. 

Perilous pavements are a common feature throughout Thailand unfortunately . From street vendors who cause bottle necks to broken pavement tiles and concrete posts in the middle of pavements , there is also no consideration for those in wheelchairs or push chairs which is a reflection on Thailand's attitude to health & safety in general . 

To the OP , begging is illegal in Thailand and the normal police should act on your complaint . 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am quite old and worry about breaking a bone.

I feel your pain and frustration. I have trouble with balance on steps, also, and need only to touch something solid to steady me. I read the suggestion of a different route. I hope that was helpful.  It is easy to learn the Thai phrase for "Excuse me" is "kho thot". You can google it to hear the proper pronunciation. I'd just reach over them to the rail and speak these words to them or stand there, speak "kho thot" and wait for them to move.

• Like 1

gMech:  thanks for the good suggestion.   The alternative route suggested for me won’t work because I need to get to the Krungsri Bank corner.  I could take the walkway from Ploenchit to Krungsri Bank and take the escalator down inside the bank but it isn’t always open