Hospital for Inguinal Hernia

ColeBOzbourne

In Bangkok, any recent experiences with hernia operations at a public hospital would be appreciated. Bumrungrad is a bit too expensive. Chulalongkorn looks good, but seems difficult to get past the registration process and red tape. Petcharavej was recommended to me, but reviews are not very promising. Although many of the reviews were specific to poor service for vaccinations during COVID. Thanks for any input you can give. 

I had several inquiries here and decided to go back to my country and have it done.  It should be out patient but here,  they wanted me to spend 2 to 3 nights in the hospital. 

And,  I just did not like the interaction 

I had with the Doctors.

The private hospital will probably give you the option of less invasive Arthroscopic or a full cut which is the traditional way. I doubt a public hospital will have the Arthroscopic option.

• Thanks 1

If you spend a couple of thousand baht for a flight,  I'd suggest Maharaj teaching hospital in Chiang Mai.  Had it done in 2011 for 18K THB.  Mesh surgery, private room.  Top notch. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I had several inquiries here and decided to go back to my country and have it done.  It should be out patient but here,  they wanted me to spend 2 to 3 nights in the hospital. 

And,  I just did not like the interaction 

I had with the Doctors.

The private hospital will probably give you the option of less invasive Arthroscopic or a full cut which is the traditional way. I doubt a public hospital will have the Arthroscopic option.

You mean laparoscopic. Arthroscopic is  something else entirely  and refers to joint surgey (knee, shoulder etc). 

Choice of hospital is not important, it is all down to the specific doctor.

A major decision point is open vs laparoscopic approach. The latter has quicker recovery time but requires more skill and specialized equipment and thus costs more.

If you opt for laparoscopuc ask the surgeon how many such procedures he has done. 

Laparoscopic approach is not always possible especially if patient is obese. 

Public hospitals are certainly less expensive   but as you note, red tape involved and also likely long wait. Best to have a Thai speaker accompany you.

I don't know what price Bumrungrad gave you  but Bangkok Hospital has a package price of 262k for laparoscopic. 

At St. Louis Hospital laoaroscopic will be around 200k and I highly recommend Dr. Narongsak Jongsiri.  Open approach there would be around 125k approximately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Thank you for the replies and recommendations. For hernia surgery on one side, Bumrungrad quoted me 250-300K for open, and 400-500K for laparoscopy. 

That is quite high. In fact higher than I have ever heard of here. 

As noted Bangkok Hospital (also a top tier international hospital(m)  is offering a 262k package. https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/package/surgery-package

• Thanks 1

I had minor surgery at King Chulalongkorn University Hospital about 5 years ago - the surgery cost about Baht 20 K.  Excellent result and service.  But, you certainly need a Thai speaker to help you navigate the system.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I don't know what price Bumrungrad gave you  but Bangkok Hospital has a package price of 262k for laparoscopic. 

At St. Louis Hospital laoaroscopic will be around 200k and I highly recommend Dr. Narongsak Jongsiri.  Open approach there would be around 125k approximately. 

I know you’ve mentioned that choosing the right Doctor is more important than the hospital.

I don’t know how it works at Bangkok Hospital, (or other private hospitals) but I noticed that at Bumrungrad their packages usually say “Doctors will be assigned; patients may not request a specific doctor”. Just something to check into when using a hospitals “packages”.

Edited by srowndedbyh2o
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/24/2023 at 9:51 PM, Sheryl said:

Thanks for this - just had Laparoscopic hernia surgery done by Dr Narongsak Jongsiri at St Louis Hospital and so far no issues at all! Total price was 190k which included two nights in hospital (technically you probably only need 1 night). Very friendly doctor and would also recommend.

Samitevej quoted me up to 287k which included 10k baht pre-clearance and 5k baht home medicine (tylenol / paracetamol??). Ultrasound on both sides of groin was also over 8k here which may be normal?

I am glad I chose St Louis.

Edited by Bountyhuntr
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 6:30 AM, ColeBOzbourne said:

Thank you for the replies and recommendations. For hernia surgery on one side, Bumrungrad quoted me 250-300K for open, and 400-500K for laparoscopy.

OP reporting back, sorry for the delay. I had the open surgery done on one side at Bumrungrad. It went well and I recovered quickly. The price quoted above (250-350K) was something the doctor scribbled on scrap paper when I asked him. He was including the surgery package and all the extras. He wasn't far off. The surgery package itself was 185K. Then you add consultation fees, pre-op exams, surgery extras, post-op exams, and medicine/antibiotics. My grand total came out to 225,000K.

• Thumbs Up 1