Ubc/true At It Again?!?

Dustoff

Great just what we don't need more self indulgent American sports C***P, your Baseball World series featuring 1 foreign team from Canada, as for Basketball maybe they could show some European teams but it would still be boring, and American football is starting to get so worried about the growth of real football(Soccer) amongst the youth in the U.S that you are starting the next season staging league games in Europe still looking for overseas markets,

Talk about C***P. The scheduling of NFL games in Europe has nothing to do with the popularity of real football amongst U.S. youth. Youth soccer has been big in the U.S. for a couple of decades but that popularity just doesn't translate to fans when they are adults. The NFL is just trying to expand their base despite what would have to be called a failure with their euro-based league.

Baseball and "gridiron"are deeply embedded in the culture on this side of the pond, and it's perfectly reasonable for an expat to wish to have more of that type of programming available. I sure hope that when the time comes for me to buy the one-way tickets, that there will be more TV options than there are now.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of knocking the U.S. sports, pattayaGaz, you should be thankful to the U.S. that there is even an ESPN in Asia considering ESPN originates in the U.S. and they're mindful enough to allow ESPN Asia to show more football (soccer) than American sports as they realize it fits the audience better.

Are Aussies self indulgent because they enjoy Aussie Rules football? There's nothing wrong with inventing sports and enjoying them and even sharing them with other countries besides your own. Was it self-indulgent crap for the UK to export football to the rest of the world? How quickly you forget history.

The term World Series fits because a lot of the players in Major League Baseball are from Japan, Caribbean countires, etc. and it's far and above better than any other baseball league in the world. Sure it sounds a little ridiculous to call it the World Series but it's party just marketing. It's so funny as I've often heard this complaint by English people. But they too often forget their own history of attempting to conquer the world. Why do Indians enjoy cricket? Ah, that's right, it was the self-indulgent crap that Britain forced them to play. But you won't hear me complaining about it when I'm actually being serious. Get over yourself.

That said, I assume you are British but I could be completely wrong.

I need a satelite dish and some english channels, are ABC from Australia an alternative ? JSat has a package, 15.000 baht and no monthly fee. Maybe someone out there has this and can give us some feedback :o

I need a satelite dish and some english channels, are ABC from Australia an alternative ? JSat has a package, 15.000 baht and no monthly fee. Maybe someone out there has this and can give us some feedback :o

Australia Network is a great channel, but it is only one channel.

Can anyone advise what other channels you get on the australia network fixed dish package? AFAIK it is only and handful of news type channels - any quality movie and/or sports channels other than Australia Network?

Cheers!

Well I've done it!

I got the J Sat crew down from Bkk last Friday (after a number of email reminders), and they did a site survey. They promised I would receive a quote on Monday, but finally got it on Wednesday after two chaser emails. They quoted 24,050, which included a special dish pole and extra lan cabling. The deal includes 24/7 on line support, 3 months site visit hardware support, and thereafter call out charge for hardware failure at 800 Baht per hour, plus extra for travel o/s BKK.

If the farang guy I had originally spoke to had at least tried to be polite and not condescending, and if the arrangements for the site survey and the obtaining of a quote had not been a pain in the but -I might have gone with them. But I thought if this is their arrogant attitude and their lack of commitment to service, what chance do I stand if something goes wrong?

So I looked for alternatives, and found a local outfit that provides an identical service. Price for installation and hardware - 12,500, plus 350 Baht per month for back up service. I know the people, and I know where they are based which is a 10 minute drive away.

They didn't charge any extra to fashion a special dish pole (which they made on site) and no charge for extra lan cabling. They quoted - and I accepted - 1,500 Baht to provide a link to a second TV. (JSat had quoted 13,500 Baht for a second box, but didn't suggest a link. My local company quoted 5,000 for a 2nd box, but I went for the link)

Today they installed my new system and I'm in 7th Heaven! :D

Right now I've got the Open Golf, Tour de France, English Test match (earlier I had the Sri Lanka game on), 4 - maybe more - movie channels, Sky news (as well as BBC and CNN), MTV, BBC Prime, and loads more....

It's raining like stink at the moment and UBC is off - but my dream box is running fine. :o

Enjoy it Mobi,

dont know why it took you so long. I suggested it to you nearly a week ago. Beats me why people even think about Jsat with their falang prices and arrogant attitude. Site survey - what a load of <deleted>. The company I used asked a couple of questions on the phone and the next day installed the system. Very efficiently too. And half the price of Jsat.

are people in this forum aware of the dream tv option?i have a moveable dish and a dynasat silver box stb .agila sat @146deg east has all the channels that expats are after.bad weather problems,,yes,sometimes,but u can enter a key into this receiver and obtain all this content for free!as well as content from about 12 other sats.maybe 300 stations total.

this reciever(silverbox) can also auto-update the key,but it depends on the firmware dl that u have.if anyone wants more info,,feel free to ask.

are people in this forum aware of the dream tv option?i have a moveable dish and a dynasat silver box stb .agila sat @146deg east has all the channels that expats are after.bad weather problems,,yes,sometimes,but u can enter a key into this receiver and obtain all this content for free!as well as content from about 12 other sats.maybe 300 stations total.

this reciever(silverbox) can also auto-update the key,but it depends on the firmware dl that u have.if anyone wants more info,,feel free to ask.

UBC wasnt in the picture (no pun intended :o ) when I looked at the options for farang tv. If youre thinking of staying here long term and in one place esp in a house, why get UBC cr*p when theres other providers out there. Sure theres more capital outlay at first but it will pay back soon after plus theres more programming to choose from. Cant name companies here but do a search and find out for yourself.

Hi Mobi

I have the movable dish & silverbox setup and i would like the new dreambox setup that you have can you pm me the company u uses and the contact no if you dont mind.

regards

scotsman

Well I've done it!

I got the J Sat crew down from Bkk last Friday (after a number of email reminders), and they did a site survey. They promised I would receive a quote on Monday, but finally got it on Wednesday after two chaser emails. They quoted 24,050, which included a special dish pole and extra lan cabling. The deal includes 24/7 on line support, 3 months site visit hardware support, and thereafter call out charge for hardware failure at 800 Baht per hour, plus extra for travel o/s BKK.

If the farang guy I had originally spoke to had at least tried to be polite and not condescending, and if the arrangements for the site survey and the obtaining of a quote had not been a pain in the but -I might have gone with them. But I thought if this is their arrogant attitude and their lack of commitment to service, what chance do I stand if something goes wrong?

So I looked for alternatives, and found a local outfit that provides an identical service. Price for installation and hardware - 12,500, plus 350 Baht per month for back up service. I know the people, and I know where they are based which is a 10 minute drive away.

They didn't charge any extra to fashion a special dish pole (which they made on site) and no charge for extra lan cabling. They quoted - and I accepted - 1,500 Baht to provide a link to a second TV. (JSat had quoted 13,500 Baht for a second box, but didn't suggest a link. My local company quoted 5,000 for a 2nd box, but I went for the link)

Today they installed my new system and I'm in 7th Heaven! :D

Right now I've got the Open Golf, Tour de France, English Test match (earlier I had the Sri Lanka game on), 4 - maybe more - movie channels, Sky news (as well as BBC and CNN), MTV, BBC Prime, and loads more....

It's raining like stink at the moment and UBC is off - but my dream box is running fine. :o

Enjoy it Mobi,

dont know why it took you so long. I suggested it to you nearly a week ago. Beats me why people even think about Jsat with their falang prices and arrogant attitude. Site survey - what a load of <deleted>. The company I used asked a couple of questions on the phone and the next day installed the system. Very efficiently too. And half the price of Jsat.

Just been watching the All Blacks beat the Wallabies 26-12 on my 62 inch screen :o

Next, the test match live from England, and the ad free open golf.

Tomorrow ad free Formula 1, and more open golf.

The picture is clearer than UBC, and I didn't know why I didn't do this yonks ago.

BTW I can also catch up on East Enders, (yes I know it's load of old rubbish but I like it :D ), as it was removed by UBC when they switched from BBC Prime to BBC Entertainment.

I thought UBC programming was bad before but after returning from a 2-month trip out of country, it is even worse!

I spent a lot of time in US motels (who purchase Grade B programming) and friend's homes and the difference was incredible. Coming back here to UBC/True's Grade C programming purchases, I find that we are offered, other than news and sports, ancient programs that they have been repeating for many years now. Judging Amy is doing a second or third recycle, House, movies from the barely-talky age, even sports clips that are weeks if not months old and shows like Ent Tonight or whatever are talking about what is coming up on TV and movies in 2005!

Just returned from the UK after 2 months, and exactly my thoughts. What a total load of .....

Watched vm back in the UK. It was a real breath of fresh air to be able to watch adult comedy and controversial films, rather than just this fun for all the family nonsense.

The real bugbear though is the cost.

The vm package we had was 30 pounds (1,800 baht) for cable, broadband and phone. That's compared to 3,500 baht I'm paying for Platinum and Hi-speed internet.

I'm now supposed to be getting excited about the 3 new packages I can pay for on top of this.

Roger.

ps. After reading this thread, will be looking into other options.

Edited by rogerthecabinboy

"Just been watching the All Blacks beat the Wallabies 26-12 on my 62 inch screen :o

Next, the test match live from England, and the ad free open golf.

Tomorrow ad free Formula 1, and more open golf.

The picture is clearer than UBC, and I didn't know why I didn't do this yonks ago.

BTW I can also catch up on East Enders, (yes I know it's load of old rubbish but I like it :D ), as it was removed by UBC when they switched from BBC Prime to BBC Entertainment."

Mobi.

OK. Are you paying for the smartcard from Multichoice? Or does it come from JSat free?

For those intested I have had the Mchoice system in Pattaya for 4 years now .

It costs £400 pa and about 10-20 k to set up. Why dont you guys get this ?? Its not difficult to get really!

It show all the sport you can ever want . .all in English

sounds like a slingbox is the best answer. If you have a buddy back home, spend 200 US for the slingbox, have them hook it up to their cable system, and then pay for a seperate internet connection for them (upload speed is important)

then you can watch your old cable system for less than 50 bucks a month. It's over the internet so it's not great--but still good.

slingmedia.com