Twisted taste: Noodle vendor’s simmering feud ends in chilling murder in northern Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

A 49 year old noodle vendor was arrested for the brutal murder of a 63 year old moneylender in Lampang, northern Thailand.

The alleged crime stemmed from a dispute over loan repayment that escalated into violence, shocking the local community. Anantasin, also known as Pa Sarge, was found dead in his home in Pong San Thong, Mueang Lampang, on Tuesday, August 29.

Officials from Phayao Provincial Police Station, led by Police Major General Wisit Pluemchai, yesterday apprehended the suspect, Charan, following an arrest warrant issued by Lampang Provincial Court. The key evidence in the case was captured footage of a man in black entering the victim’s residence and subsequently leaving on a blue Honda Wave motorcycle registered in Lampang.

Charan confessed to authorities that he had borrowed a substantial amount from Anantasin to support his noodle business. However, when Anantasin approached him for repayment, Charan, unable to pay off his debt, lost his temper and attacked Anantasin with a hammer.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/lampang-noodle-vendor-arrested-over-brutal-murder-of-moneylender-in-loan-dispute

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Who is the victim? Ok, so a guy murdered someone... but that 'someone' was a money lender, and I'm guessing his surname wasn't Kasikorn! Unofficial money lenders (loan sharks) here in Thailand are no angels! Maybe this was his karma. I said MAYBE!

There could be more to this than we know.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2long said:

Who is the victim? Ok, so a guy murdered someone... but that 'someone' was a money lender, and I'm guessing his surname wasn't Kasikorn! Unofficial money lenders (loan sharks) here in Thailand are no angels! Maybe this was his karma. I said MAYBE!

There could be more to this than we know.

He loaned money, asked for it back, the person he loaned to didn't have the money so killed him. We know about loan shark interest rates, murder trumps that in my book. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Charan confessed to authorities that he had borrowed a substantial amount from Anantasin to support his noodle business. However, when Anantasin approached him for repayment, Charan, unable to pay off his debt, lost his temper and attacked Anantasin with a hammer.

Biting the hand that fed you never worked out well.

There is no mention of any loan sharking here, for all we know the noodle borrowed the money off some guy he knew with promises to pay it back. This kind of thing happens all the time.

The reason I think this is that when it comes time to pay if they are 'loan sharks' then generally don't send the old man who personally lent the cash to collect it, they send a couple of thugs....I've seen it.

I believe the Thais call them the 'helmet people' as they drive around on motorcycles wearing helmets (up to no good and hiding their id) looking for the people who owe them.

Edited by ukrules