Bank Letter for Immigration (Income method)

For years I have been using the 800K in the bank method for my annual Retirement extension. 

The day before renewal I go to get bank statement and covering letter for the 800K account to show Immigration. Over the years the 800K in the account has never been touched so never had a problem.

This year has ben a bit tricky and looks like I may fall slightly short of the 800K needed for the extension. Thought I might try the combined income method using my pathetic monthly income from UK Government pension, which should cover the shortfall.

What kind of letter would I need from the Bank to satisfy Immigration and prove this monthly income?

The account for my UK state Pension only has that, nothing else goes on in that account.

A years statement print out from that account should prove that the monies come from abroad, but is that enough for Immigration? There's always something more they seem to want.

What kind of letter should I ask from the bank?  Confirm the transfers arrives every 4 weeks and the monies come from abroad????

Thank you  

• Thumbs Up 1

You're very likely to need Foreign Exchange Transactions (FETs) from the bank to prove to the I/O that your pension payments did, indeed come from abroad. 

The banks letter is standard no matter which method you use.

• Confused 1

Thanks for your speedy responses.  

My bank is SCB and I do believe that the statement code shows overseas transfers, anyway as I mentioned in my original post that account has no other activity than my pension deposits.

I will ask the bank to indicate in the letter that thy are overseas transfers just to cover that point twice. 

I realize not all Immigration offices will accept the combined method but unless I win the lottery this is my only option at the moment.

Thank you gents 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2023 at 12:12 PM, Daffy D said:

What kind of letter would I need from the Bank to satisfy Immigration and prove this monthly income?

From the bank you will need the normal balance confirmation letter and a 12 month statement showing the receipts.

You haven't said if you send the pension or if it is coming direct from DWP. As mentioned by BritTim you may need the credit advice as I was. Fortunately I was doing it myself and HSBC automatically posted a credit advice to my account each time I made a transfer.

If however the pension is coming from the DWP it will be extremely difficult to get any credit advice, DWP don't do them and Thai banks don't want to know.

People keep talking about codes but my bank has never had a code on the statement, they used to say "EXIM" but a while back that changed to "Transfer in via INTERNATIONAL". I know they have codes in books but in all the time I have done income, immigration have never asked to see the passbook.

Even though my statements show international they still want the credit advice, one time I saw them go through, ticking off the advice against the statement.

You need to be prepared and I would suggest you have your pension letter available, highlighting that it is paid every 4 weeks, as it is not paid same time every month, something they seem to find a bit confusing. Good luck.

• Like 2

Hi  "sandyf"

This income payment method seems to get more complicated ever time I look at it :wacko:

Pension is paid direct from DWP and there is no other activity in that account except withdraws, so that should make things a little simpler.

Pension letter from DWP confirming 4x weekly payments is good idea but guess it would also have to be officially translated  :annoyed:

Parden my ignorance but what is "credit advice"

Cheers :smile:

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

The credit advice is a document showing the detailed information about a bank transfer.

The Thai bank can print a copy. If they are necessary, you will need one for each transfer, and there may be a delay and a charge if you want the credit advice for an older transfer.

4 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Hi  "sandyf"

This income payment method seems to get more complicated ever time I look at it :wacko:

Pension is paid direct from DWP and there is no other activity in that account except withdraws, so that should make things a little simpler.

Pension letter from DWP confirming 4x weekly payments is good idea but guess it would also have to be officially translated  :annoyed:

Cheers :smile:

Quite, it became another office variable when the embassy stopped doing income letters.  In those days income was gross and the change made it net so I had to go from retirement combo to marriage on income.

Yes you would probably need a translation of pension letter, they are looking to check the funds come from a foreign source, they like to see it at roughly the same time each month.

Credit advice wasn't quite right, it is a remittance advice that is normally used. The remittance advice is normally issued by the remitting bank when a Swift or IBAN transfer is made, but may have to be requested. I think those using Wise have to ask for them. DWP don't do them as they subcontract the payment process. A credit advice would be issued by the receiving bank and they are not normal, almost certainly have to be requested.

• Like 1