Change passport while 1 year extension valid

Hello,

I currently have a 1 year extension based on retirement valid until June 2024. I also have a Vietnam TRC ( Temp Residence Certificate) link to my passport.

I am travelling a lot (especially between Thailand and Vietnam) and my passport has only few pages left.

My passport is valid until 2025 and I can easily get it replace in the French Embassy (either Bangkok or HCMC). 

I know the Embassy will give me back the full passport after getting a new one (as the understand I have valid visa on it) but how will it work for the Thai extension? Will i need to get the extension transfer to the new passport or will I just show the 2 passports when travelling?

Thanks

56 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Your immigration office will transfer your extension (and hopefully re-entry permit) from the old passport to the new passport, at which point you will only need the new passport for travel purposes. Until then, you will need both passports for the airlines and Thai airport immigration.

Presumably, you will need to do something at the Vietnam end also.

Thanks, clear. Yes for Vietnam, not sure how it will work but I will find out with my HR. The TRC card is link to the passport number so they might want to re-issue a card with the new passport number.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Until then, you will need both passports for the airlines and Thai airport immigration.

Why not just travel with both passports, until it's time to renew your annual extension? Why an extra step to Imm to transfer stamps, if not needed to continue traveling with two passports?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Why not just travel with both passports, until it's time to renew your annual extension? Why an extra step to Imm to transfer stamps, if not needed to continue traveling with two passports?

dont think it possible to have 2 passports:))

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zapitapi said:

Any valid visa , reentry permit remain valid from the old passport.

It's common to travel with new pp and the cancelled pp presented to airline and immigration together. 

OP, if you decide to attend immigration to have stamps etc transferred to new pp, be aware that some offices are now asking to see your bankbook.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Also if you have Thai bank accounts you will need to go in with your passports and have them change to the new passport number.

There are some other things tied to your passport: driver license, sim card(s), hospital patient registration(s), Thai will, Thai mobile apps., etc.

7 hours ago, rwill said:

Also if you have Thai bank accounts you will need to go in with your passports and have them change to the new passport number.

Yes, I know that. I am banking with 4 Thai banks and everytime I renew my passport, I am updating the banks. Same for the Thai driving licenses.

My question was related to the 1 year extension and multi re-entry permit as this is first I am on extension. For years, I was on Non O 1 year multiple entries based on my son but this year, i went to the Non O retirement + 1 year extensiob as I am over 50 and my son is 24. The retirement option was more simple.

5 minutes ago, jphasia said:

. The retirement option was more simple

Great.

So what's your question.

When should you transfer info for old to new pp? 

Answer: Anytime prior to applying for next extension.

Could even do it same visit.

OR ...

You travel internationally with both passports and go to immigration when it suits.

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Great.

So what's your question.

When should you transfer info for old to new pp? 

Answer: Anytime prior to applying for next extension.

Could even do it same visit.

OR ...

You travel internationally with both passports and go to immigration when it suits.

My initial question was if it was mandatory to transfer the extension and re-entry permit to the new passport or not necessary.

As mentioned above, i was always on 1 year non O multiple and because my frequent travels, I was changing passport mostly every year. Example, prior to working in Vietnam, I spent 7 years in Myanmar with weekly trip to Thailand. I was always carrying 2 passports to show at the airport: the one full with the visa + the new passport attached on which they were stamping the entry and exit.

I was wondering if it could the same with a 1 year extension. I understand it is based on the replies.

In this case, I will simply keep the 2 passports until the new extension.

I am now 4 pages only left in passport. I will then start the process or getting a new passport and then carry 2 passports until June 2024. This is not an issue for me. Even better as I don't have much time to go to immigration.

2 minutes ago, jphasia said:

My initial question was if it was mandatory to transfer the extension and re-entry permit to the new passport or not necessary.

As mentioned above, i was always on 1 year non O multiple and because my frequent travels, I was changing passport mostly every year. Example, prior to working in Vietnam, I spent 7 years in Myanmar with weekly trip to Thailand. I was always carrying 2 passports to show at the airport: the one full with the visa + the new passport attached on which they were stamping the entry and exit.

I was wondering if it could the same with a 1 year extension. I understand it is based on the replies.

In this case, I will simply keep the 2 passports until the new extension.

I am now 4 pages only left in passport. I will then start the process or getting a new passport and then carry 2 passports until June 2024. This is not an issue for me. Even better as I don't have much time to go to immigration.

Good plan.

I once travelled for best part of a year and did the transfer on same visit as my 12 month extension.

At CW it's done at same L desk.

One reason for this was that CW would not transfer my reentry permit as it was issued at DMK airport and reentry desk at CW refused transfer....."Do at airport" 

At that time I was flying to Saigon every month.

No issue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, JimGant said:

Usually when a new passport is issued the old one is cancelled with a hole punched through it making it invalid (that's what they do in USA). It's easy to have the stamps from previous passport transferred to new passport at immigration one simple form, 500 baht and 30 minutes. I just did it last November.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Zapitapi said:

old one is cancelled and 
americans can legally hold 2 passports 

so ur wrong

U can travel using both< a stamp showing ur initial entry into Thailand needs be done at the immigration where ur extension was issued> 

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=3202

Its free but ...its also Thailand  ????

18 hours ago, Soondae said:

Usually when a new passport is issued the old one is cancelled with a hole punched through it making it invalid (that's what they do in USA). It's easy to have the stamps from previous passport transferred to new passport at immigration one simple form, 500 baht and 30 minutes. I just did it last November.

Yes, when a new passport is issued, the old one is cancelled but the valid visa on it remains valid.

As for French passport, the authorities can issue 2 valid passports. I never had 2 valid passports at the same time, but some of my colleagues have.