Wireless Networks In Rural Thailand

sezzo

Until 6 months ago I was living for the past few years in Ubon Ratchathani and using my AIS mobile to connect to the internet. This system worked well for my requirements and I was happy with the costs (200 baht per month for 60 hours). I am currently back in Oz temporarily and have connected to the Telstra Wireless network using a PCMCIA modem. This works well, once again, for my needs.

I will be back in Thailand soon and I am wondering if this network is available in rural Thailand. Im aware that the chance of it being available out in the sticks is probably remote but its worth asking the question anyway. If not I will revert back to the tried and true network using the mobile.

Thanks for any input

I have only ever found one wireless network in Issan, mine! Maybe if you live in a major city like Korat you might get lucky but otherwise i would stick to your mobile, (bluetooth/usb)

is your telstra pcmcia card CDMA ? there is a hutch CDMA network , but I think it is mainly on the eastern seaboard and bangkok , also I would suspect your card is probably locked to telstra sim cards only.

what you were probably using with your mobile phone was GPRS/EDGE ( well GPRS as EDGE is not available outside the major cities ) and this is different to CDMA.

you can get GPRS/EDGE pcmcia modems if you wish , or you can just stick with utilising your phone as the modem.

I used the Solomon GPRS modem for three years out in the bonnies and had very little trouble. AIS has several programs to pick from as far as time wanted. I used the 900bt unlimited and it worked out well and you can pay in advance so your not doing the worry bit about monthly payments. Item is avail. from tela wiz. (ps) They provide a internet card for the modem or you can go stright time and use the card out of your mobil.

A bit of googling reveals that Telstra has both hotspots (wifi) and cdma ev-do wireless services.

So most probably you will not be able to use that card out in the sticks.

There certainly are no wifi hotspots there, and considering the fact that most modern laptops have wifi built in, it's almost certain you have a cdma ev-do aircard from telstra.

Only CAT has this system, basically still in trial but with availability in quite a few places now. Unfortunately you need an aircard with the specific firmware from CAT inside.

The PCMCIA card that I use uses the 3G network to enable me the wireless broadband network. It looks like I will have to go back to the GPRS network that I used before in Thailand. No probs with that as I had a good signal at my house and therefore had quite good coverage. Faster than dial up but slower than my wireless broadband in Oz and also the price is great.

Phuket has excellent EV-DO coverage with CAT - typical speeds of 400 to 600 Kbps down (measured at dslreports.com connecting to a server in the US).

It's pricey to start - the AirCard 580 costs 12,000 baht (and the 580 has been officially discontinued by its manufacturer, Sierra Wireless), but the monthly fee is reasonable at B 600 per month.

I've heard that the CAT service is available widely throughout Thailand. (Hutch controls the EV-DO market in Bangkok, though.) No idea if it works where you are, but it's worth dropping by the local CAT office and asking.

I write about the AirCard and other Internet alternatives in Phuket several times a month in the Phuket Gazette. It's by far the most popular topic among techies here on the island.

The PCMCIA card that I use uses the 3G network to enable me the wireless broadband network. It looks like I will have to go back to the GPRS network that I used before in Thailand. No probs with that as I had a good signal at my house and therefore had quite good coverage. Faster than dial up but slower than my wireless broadband in Oz and also the price is great.

I used the GPRS for a long time. I now have Sat. and don't real need moble. If your near Phitsanulok you can pick up my Solomam i275 USB modem its GPRS and switchs to WiFi with a slide switch on the back if your in a hot spot. Can use any cell phone sim card for the GPRS. New edge card is 12,000baht new gprs 5900 mine is only 3000 still in the box manuals adptor cables CD, but its better to download drives for it after you first connect. [email protected]