HOP card for (some) Bangkok buses

isaanistical

Jumped on a bus today which had no conductor/ess. A couple of people who got on asked the driver and bought some form of card, one person also boarded and swiped a card (3 others, like me, did nothing).

I believe this is a "HOP" card, but I can only find Thai references to it that are nonsense when translated, although one site suggested it might be for 40-baht-per-day unlimited travel, which hardly makes sense if I am making a single journey (which I more usually make on a 8-baht non-aircon). Another clearly referred to using Krungthai bank for purchase, which won't work for me.

Anybody shed light?

On 9/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, isaanistical said:

Jumped on a bus today which had no conductor/ess. A couple of people who got on asked the driver and bought some form of card, one person also boarded and swiped a card (3 others, like me, did nothing).

I believe this is a "HOP" card, but I can only find Thai references to it that are nonsense when translated, although one site suggested it might be for 40-baht-per-day unlimited travel, which hardly makes sense if I am making a single journey (which I more usually make on a 8-baht non-aircon). Another clearly referred to using Krungthai bank for purchase, which won't work for me.

Anybody shed light?

https://www.train36.com/bangkok-public-bus.html

It may be a bit outdated but scroll down & you'll get to the bus pass section.

32 minutes ago, khunken said:

https://www.train36.com/bangkok-public-bus.html

It may be a bit outdated but scroll down & you'll get to the bus pass section.

Nine years ago they had no electric buses, let alone a card system for them.

I got as far as this about Hop cards from a press release last December:

"In the first package, passengers pay only 50 baht per day and can ride electric buses and boats of operators using Thai Smile Bus platform with unlimited trips.

In the second package, commuters pay 40 baht a day to ride electric buses in the Thai Smile Bus network in over 120 routes in Bangkok with unlimited trips."

But as for actually finding the card, let alone "120 routes" run by TSB (as opposed to BMTA), I got no further.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I'm curious to hear what happened at the end of your trip if you paid nothing when you got on. Did they have a group of locals to "assist" you in finding your wallet to pay when you got off? :wai:

No, of course not. I'm in BKK, where did you think I was?