Child Thai Passport Renewal.

Ive two children that have both Australian and Thai passports.

We plan on travelling to Oz for holidays next month.

The child Thai passports have just expired so they need to be renewed.

Wondering if I can just take them (kids + documents etc) to the appropriate Office to get the Thai passport renewals done or does the kids Mother need to be present as well.

23 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Both parents need to be present for Thai children to get new passport unless you have a notarized letter of consent to issuance of the passport by the absent parent.

I was not present when my kids got their Thai passports.

38 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

I was not present when my kids got their Thai passports.

I have also heard of such if it is a Thai parent accompanying, but I wouldn't count on that happening with a foreign parent. 

Technically a Thai parent would also need a notarized letter from the absent parent as it is an international convention, to which Thailand is a signatory, that requires this.

My presence was always required when we obtained and renewed our children's Thai passports, but this was in Bangkok.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 3:46 AM, beatlebones said:

Ive two children that have both Australian and Thai passports.

We plan on travelling to Oz for holidays next month.

The child Thai passports have just expired so they need to be renewed.

Wondering if I can just take them (kids + documents etc) to the appropriate Office to get the Thai passport renewals done or does the kids Mother need to be present as well.

Both father and mother needs to be present to renew a minor's passport, remember IDs.

For a surcharge (around 1,000 baht) you can (at least some places) get a same day service; otherwise the passport will be sent by EPS (Express Mail Service) within a few days or within a week.

I once did one of the kids renewals in Bangkok when my wife was in London. She had to go to the embassy in South Kensington to sign a form to say she was OK with the new passport being issued.

And the passport office waited for the physical form to arrive from the embassy before issuing it. I.e. My wife couldn't even DHL it to me. It was sent to the passport department by the embassy directly.

Bangkok main passport office in Lak Si, but it was around 2005... I think it was rather unexpected for the foreign parent to come to the passport office and the Thai parent to be abroad.

I don't know if they'd have been as unbending with the rules with a male child, but my daughter would have been 5 as it was her first renewal... Possibly complicated by the fact that she was born in the UK, so her original Thai passport that we were renewing had been issued in London.

• 3 weeks later...

I eventually got the kids passports done at Cheangwattana Dept of Consular Affairs Office.

Very efficient.

Both parents needed to be present (or you would have needed some form of stat dec letter from spouse.)

Just needed to provide :

My passport

Kids Thai IDs

Mothers ID

No photos required as they are done for you with all the other associated biometric data.

Cost 1k Bht /passport

We got there at 9.45  out but 10.30.

I picked up the Thai passports from same place the next day after 15.30.

That took a whole 15 minutes.

• Like 1