Natural Resources And Environment Ministry Campaigns For People To Clean Up Canals And Waterways

Jai Dee

Natural Resources and Environment Ministry campaigns for people to clean up canals and waterways

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment has launched a project for people to help improve and maintain the water quality in canals and waterways.

Mr. Pralong Damrongthai, the Director of the Bureau Inspection and Evaluation, says the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry has a policy to manage the environmental resources proactively. He says the Thai way of life has long been associated with canals and waterways, and therefore, the ministry has initiated a project for people to look after them. He says the project is being implemented in Bangkok and 75 provinces of Thailand, and the local administrative organizations will help carry out this project.

Last year, the ministry campaigned for people to stop littering along the canals and waterways. The ministry also set up barrels to trap rancid in canals and waterways. The campaign was a success. This year, the Budget Bureau has allocated a budget for the ministry to continue this campaign.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 July 2007

This is a good cause, and I hope it goes from strength to strength.

In my time London has cleaned up the Thames very well, and Singapore has cleaned up its river.

But yesterday in Bangkok, I wondered about lack of water purity when I saw kids swimming in the big river there.

The klongs, rivers and bigger streams of Thailand are a great asset as swimming places for kids from poor families, so the cleaner the better.

Natural Resources and Environment Ministry campaigns for people to clean up canals and waterways

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment has launched a project for people to help improve and maintain the water quality in canals and waterways.

Mr. Pralong Damrongthai, the Director of the Bureau Inspection and Evaluation, says the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry has a policy to manage the environmental resources proactively. He says the Thai way of life has long been associated with canals and waterways, and therefore, the ministry has initiated a project for people to look after them. He says the project is being implemented in Bangkok and 75 provinces of Thailand, and the local administrative organizations will help carry out this project.

Last year, the ministry campaigned for people to stop littering along the canals and waterways. The ministry also set up barrels to trap rancid in canals and waterways. The campaign was a success. This year, the Budget Bureau has allocated a budget for the ministry to continue this campaign.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 July 2007

Good!

I wonder why they didn't campaign to the people to clean up the streets, backyards and other places as well...?

They should start educating the kids in school....they can educate their parents afterwards... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

maybe ministry should do more than appeals and campaigns for the public to deal with the problem of water pollution.

The canals should be deepend, so water can actually flow and not stagnate. The proper sewege systems should be build - instead of raw waste dumped into canals.

My in-laws live in Samut Prakarn, behind the house is a khlong where everyone leave their garbage which is picked up by a small barge. I see more garbage in the khlong than there is in the cans. The water is now so black that you can't see more than about 2 inches deep and now smells of raw sewage and chemical discharge from the local factories. My wife says that it used to be very clean and they would swim in it every day. Only monitor lizards dare swim in there now. Pretty well all the khlongs around Samut Prakarn are heavily polluted, carrying that tomcat urine smell all over town. :o You can even get a fragrance of that smell all the way to the toll booths on the elevated expressway.

A few khlongs in Chonburi are open sewage canals that discharge right where the oyster farms are on the Gulf.

Enjoy you seafood!

Edited by Tony Clifton

Good!

I wonder why they didn't campaign to the people to clean up the streets, backyards and other places as well...?

They should start educating the kids in school....they can educate their parents afterwards... :o

LaoPo

I completely agree with the above, and I am surprised to see so little interest in this thread, given the fact that so many TV members, including myself, seriously dislike the mountains of garbage that can be seen virtually everywhere (ok, maybe a little exaggeration there, but still...).

Regards

Let's start our own local campaign to rid the streets of litter. A local farang project with volunteers from every area. We can do every weekend and if you're a teacher you can invite your students to help for extra points in the class. It'll give you a little extra incentive to bond with them and the communities will see what nice, caring, and concerned people we are.

Who's in? I'll head the Surin chapter and lead a crew every 1st and 3rd Saturday.