Overstaying Algerian Arrested in Phuket

webfact

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

The local immigration offices have no authority to go in and check individuals for overstay, as well as there is no system in place that gives any note or alarm about such things.

Didn't they recently state that they were implementing a system that would give a list every day of all those going onto overstay (they stated that currently they couldn't).

However, they, according to the law, have no right to ask you to provide passport if you are not caught with anything related to the assigned check.

Shame you weren't there to tell the IO who stopped me in the street and asked for my passport.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Didn't they recently state that they were implementing a system that would give a list every day of all those going onto overstay (they stated that currently they couldn't).

Shame you weren't there to tell the IO who stopped me in the street and asked for my passport.

We all know how long time that will take. ???? 

How could I do that, as they would only say they got an anonymous tip.

28 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have been stopped to show my DL and was asked to show my PP. The RTP have the right to check anybody's PP at any time, that is why it is law, to carry it or a copy at ALL TIMES.

Ok, I correct and say that I am not 100% sure about that. However, if that is the only valid document you have to confirm your identity, that might be the case. Their fat fingers will of course happen to get up the right page. ???? 

The reason you state is totally of the reality board, anyway. The biggest reason you should carry you passport or a copy of it, is for them to be able to quickly identify you if you should be unable to do that yourself. 

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, I correct and say that I am not 100% sure about that. However, if that is the only valid document you have to confirm your identity, that might be the case. Their fat fingers will of course happen to get up the right page. ???? 

The reason you state is totally of the reality board, anyway. The biggest reason you should carry you passport or a copy of it, is for them to be able to quickly identify you if you should be unable to do that yourself. 

It is the law end of and up to them, I have been stopped just walking in BKK and asked for my PP. I am not "Of (off?) the reality board" you are.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

However, if that is the only valid document you have to confirm your identity, that might be the case.

Stop buying cakes for immigration and you might get real answers. Its not just your ID they want. They want to see your visa/extension status. You talk like you just arrived :post-4641-1156694572:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Stop buying cakes for immigration and you might get real answers. Its not just your ID they want. They want to see your visa/extension status. You talk like you just arrived :post-4641-1156694572:

Oh dear. I have almost 24 year in Thailand. Why would I stop buy cakes for immigration, when they do a fantastic work? Never said that immigration only want my ID. What I said, was that if you have done nothing wrong or are suspected for anything, you could use an alternative valid ID to the general police.

Oh dear. I have almost 24 year in Thailand. Why would I stop buy cakes for immigration, when they do a fantastic work? Never said that immigration only want my ID. What I said, was that if you have done nothing wrong or are suspected for anything, you could use an alternative valid ID to the general police.

And you still don't know the laws, NO you can't you MUST show your visa.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

And I thought you said they had no authority ???? 

They have the authority to stop you and detain you if you cannot show your passport if they are suspicious of you or if you have broken a law. Happened to me on Sukhumvit about 10 years ago. At that time you were supposed to carry a copy of your passport if you didn't have it and I had to prove my identity at a station before they let me go as I was not who they were looking for. If they grab you, there isn't anything much you can do about it as they can outnumber you and force the issue if they want but they didn't do that with me and I didn't have to pay anything either. 

• Thumbs Up 1