Chiang Mai holiday....best time to come

Kenny202

Wanted to go and check out Chiang Mai for so long. Looks like a very cool place. I often here the traffic etc compared to Bangkok. Is it really that bad? I hate that sort of scene particularly getting close to Bangkok with all the flyovers, turnoffs etc not to mention the traffic jams and traffic in the city. Is it anything like that in CM? Is it possible to park in the city? Can someone paint me a bit of a picture?

Other question best time of year to come re pollution. Definitely don't want to be there in the burning season. Appreciate any info thanks.

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

December and January are pretty good with mild weather.  There are places to park just need to drive around to find a spot.

We may be better off flying up and just stay based in the city. Is the city center spread out or walkable? Thanks for your reply

43 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

We may be better off flying up and just stay based in the city. Is the city center spread out or walkable? Thanks for your reply

It is walkable but fairly large area to walk.  The center is full of vegan places, coffee shops, massage and restaurants.   I suggest you take a trip outside to see some of the nature spots. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It is walkable but fairly large area to walk.  The center is full of vegan places, coffee shops, massage and restaurants.   I suggest you take a trip outside to see some of the nature spots. 

Whereabout is the center on Chiang Mai ?

There seems to be carious different locations all over the place without one place being the center 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I don't find the traffic that bad - some people scream when they are stopped at a red light... 

Same with burning season - it mostly doesn't bother me much - but it is from end of Feb until mid April - 

Parking, now that is a problem. If you are coming by car just park at your hotel and take songthaews or Grab taxi... 

Enjoy. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Whereabout is the center on Chiang Mai ?

There seems to be carious different locations all over the place without one place being the center 

I refer to Tae pae gate as the center using CMU area as west and highway as east...as it tends to be the zone the tourists stick to when referring to the "center" of CM.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I refer to Tae pae gate as the center using CMU area as west and highway as east...as it tends to be the zone the tourists stick to when referring to the "center" of CM.....

For reference: Map of Central Chiang Mai surrounding, and within the the moat. Tae Pae Gate is mid-way along the east side of the moat.

chiang-mai-map-0.jpg

23 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

park in the city

Park at your hotel and rent a scooter.

Great food, very clean, good shopping.

I enjoy a few nights in the old walled section at a nice hotel. 

My Issan wife thinks it's totally boring.

23 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference: Map of Central Chiang Mai surrounding, and within the the moat. Tae Pae Gate is mid-way along the east side of the moat.

chiang-mai-map-0.jpg

is my reference with telling tourist as everyone know TP gate and is a popular meeting point

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Thanks 1