Change 2 year to 5 year drivers license

FarAway

18 minutes ago, FarAway said:

Hi,

I currently have a 2-year driving license that is ending in April 2024.

But I will leave Thailand for good at the end of this year.

Can I change my 2-year license to a 5-year license before I leave? 

If you're leaving for good at the end of this year then why do you want to extend your already valid license?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Kenchamp said:

If you're leaving for good at the end of this year then why do you want to extend your already valid license?

Because it will not be valid anymore in April 2024 and then I would have no valid driving license at all anymore?

If I extend to 5 years soon, I have until end of 2028. 

Furthermore, many countries do not even consider the 2-year-temporary Thai drivers license as valid in their country at all (for example all EU countries)

• Thanks 1

Its a few years ago but I succeeded to change mine early.

It used to be 1 year temp license. So just after the 1 year had passed, I took my 2 year license to Bang Chak driving license centre and succeeded to change it there.

I went late in the afternoon when all the rush was finished, it was just before their closing time and the staff were quite annoyed with me in a friendly kind of way. They did the reaction tests, made my 5 year license, made an international driving permit all the while reminding me, mister you must come earlier next time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Its a few years ago but I succeeded to change mine early.

It used to be 1 year temp license. So just after the 1 year had passed, I took my 2 year license to Bang Chak driving license centre and succeeded to change it there.

I went late in the afternoon when all the rush was finished, it was just before their closing time and the staff were quite annoyed with me in a friendly kind of way. They did the reaction tests, made my 5 year license, made an international driving permit all the while reminding me, mister you must come earlier next time.

Okay, so as always it seems no clear rules and it depends on the employees, their daily mood and how you approach them.

Thank you. I will try my luck.

4 hours ago, FarAway said:

Because it will not be valid anymore in April 2024 and then I would have no valid driving license at all anymore?

If I extend to 5 years soon, I have until end of 2028. 

Furthermore, many countries do not even consider the 2-year-temporary Thai drivers license as valid in their country at all (for example all EU countries)

Like others said, which country are you moving to?

I've exchanged DL all over the world, a lot of first world countries recognize and exchange licenses without a test.

Changed a Alberta Canada license for a Texas one, no problem, exchanged Texas license for Australian one, no problem

Moved back to Canada from Thailand, DL not able to exchange 

The Thai license does not have a rating number on it that they recognize in Alberta, eg class 5 for passenger cars, class 6 for motorcycles, Thai license has a little picture of a car or motorcycle for the class rating and that does not compute

I had to redo the written and driving test again.

We were able to renew a 2 year licence after 14 months in Phra Khanong, Bangkok to get an international driving permit. You can't get an IDP on a 2 year licence only a 5. We paid an agent from Fatboy's to help with it, on account of the early renewal. I don't know if that was necessary or not, but I felt it was worth it to have someone to explain what was needed in Thai. If you are fluent, it probably doesn't matter.

You will have to get the IDP at the same time, so you need to tell them which country it is for. You might as well choose one that accepts the 3 year IDP rather than 1 year, if you don't have anywhere in mind, or get both if you think you might need them. The information says you need a separate residence certificate for each one, but in practice, they accepted the same certificate for the renewal and IDP.

We didn't actually need IDPs but the UK car rental companies didn't like the 2 year temporary licence, so we needed the 5 year.

DM me if you want the number for Fatboy's. They've split the company up now, so it's harder to track down the right people. 

• Love It 1