Are there steamers available to remove wallpaper?

giddyup

We bought what was called a "show house" about 13 years ago and every room is wallpapered, and very good quality paper. However in places it's starting to look a bit shabby, peeling etc.

I actually removed the paper on a couple of walls in the bedroom, and it was a pain to do. I wet the paper down first, but even after doing that it wasn't easy to remove and there was a lot of glue residue left. So I'm definitely not doing any more myself.

We're considering getting all the paper removed in every room and the walls painted. I don't know if there is equipment that's available to make this easier, or people who specialize in this kind of work, but it would be a big job and probably require us to move out for a month. I guess wallpaper isn't that common in Thailand (Pattaya) either.

As far as I remember wallpaper (in general or many of them) is designed to be removed in part, just the upper layer. And then you can put new wallpaper on top of the old "base". At least that is what I remember from long time ago when I did that the last time.

That is certainly a lot easier and faster than removing it completely and preparing the wall to paint it and then paint it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Ahhh those are the beastly modern variety, no fun at all. You tore off the top layer and left a layer of paper underneath that you could paper over again and again. No the real wall paper was stuff that you sized the walls, then applied the wallpaper which grabbed like an electromagnet. You then had to scrape it off the whole house with a scraper about 2 inches wide. 

I remember that "beastly modern variety" from more than 30 years ago... 

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

I don't know if there is equipment that's available to make this easier, or people who specialize in this kind of work, but it would be a big job and probably require us to move out for a month.

As has been mentioned you need a steamer, that is if you don’t have vinyl wallpaper. I have wallpapered my whole house in the past and used a steamer. It isn’t a particularly difficult job and won’t take nearly as much time as you think. One reasonable sized room (17’ x 12’) took about half a day to strip with regular wallpaper and not much more than an hour with vinyl paper.

If you don’t use the correct tools (you didn’t) it is a very tough job. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2023 at 9:17 AM, Crossy said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/steam-plates-by-prostormer-i2895471689-s10579412026.html

image.png.8f3616a4584c73954c460ebbf5bd464c.png

Getting the old paper off is just the start, then you have to clean up the wall itself and wallpaper can hide a multitude of sins ???? 

It might be an idea to strip one room (spare bedroom??) and see just how much of a nightmare it's going to be ???? 

If you are looking for new wallpapers, I advise you to visit kitchen peel and stick wallpaper. There is a wide range and wallpapers of the best quality.

Here are some tips to help you remove wallpaper in your home:

Start by removing wallpaper in small spaces such as the bathroom or closet. This will help you gain experience and understand how best to work with different types of wallpaper.
Choose a suitable wallpaper removal tool. You can use a spatula or scraper to remove paper wallpaper. To remove vinyl wallpaper, you may need a steam generator or a heat gun.
Wet the wallpaper before removing it. This will help ease the removal process and prevent damage to the walls.
Work slowly and carefully. Be careful not to damage the walls when removing wallpaper.

If you don't want to deal with wallpaper removal yourself, you can hire a professional company. The cost of wallpaper removal depends on the size of the room, the type of wallpaper and the complexity of the job.

Edited by Entwere
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Entwere said:

Choose a suitable wallpaper removal tool.

Correct,

You can use a spatula or scraper to remove paper wallpaper.

Again yes but scoring the paper allows you to make the job easier 

To remove vinyl wallpaper, you may need a steam generator or a heat gun.

Incorrect. A steamer does nothing for vinyl wall covering, it’s waterproof, a heat gun doesn’t work either as the wallpaper size isn’t affected much by heat. 
Vinyl wallpaper is the easiest to remove as the top layer (the vinyl) can be literally pulled off the walls by hand. You leave the backing on the walls and don’t strip it off as it provides a perfect base for the new paper.

The only problem comes if you want to paint not paper the walls because then you may, will, need to strip everything off and you will almost certainly either damage the surface or find it pre-damaged. And yes I absolutely know what I’m talking about having had to repaper several houses 

• Thumbs Up 1