Sunday roast dinners

DonniePeverley

Guys can you recommend anywhere in Bangkok that does a top Sunday roast dinner? 

I have tried a couple of places - one that was outrageously expensive to the point i nearly thew up when i saw the bill (and i'm not cheap eater) but the meal itself was rather average, with yorkshire puddings that looked and tasted like Bricks. On the other hand, i then went to another place that basically just threw veg into a heated buffet containers and you were left to just pick up some dry veg, and a thin strips of Chicken, which was ghastly. 

Any recomendations? I don't suppose they do Turkey in these parts? 

On 10/4/2023 at 9:57 AM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 10/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, Andyfez said:

The Londoner. But it's not a buffet these days.

It's not very handy these days, either!

Londoner - As its out on Pattanakarn Rd it requires a taxi to get to (if someone is not driving), but thats not an issue on a Sunday as traffic is relatively light. 

The usual Sukhumvit Pubs are decent - quality of beef may vary.

Kai - is good, decent beef quality, great for a group (pricey booze though).

Goji at Marriott Marquis - probably one of the best, meat quality is (was) excellent (Prime Rib - US I think) - its a buffet, so not 'Sunday Roast' per se, but it has everything a Sunday Roast has and a lot lot more...  obviously more expensive than the above options. 

Kai probably the best one I have had.. Feels less commercial than the typical pub ones which just feel like conveyor belts of microwaved boiled rubbish. 

Personally find none of them come close to a home cooked one.. And generally are bland and disappointing. 

On 10/14/2023 at 8:58 AM, smutcakes said:

Personally find none of them come close to a home cooked one.. And generally are bland and disappointing. 

This. 

Bangkok is a great culinary city, but it cannot replicate the great ole British roast dinner. I miss a Toby Carvery ! 

On 10/23/2023 at 6:26 PM, observer90210 said:

Great for the pot belly 🤣  Not so good however for the cholesterol and general health if indulging to often.

Roast chicken dinner is actually rather healthy. White chicken or Turkey, vegetables, some mash, yorkshire puddings ... ?

The problem i find is the yorkshire puddings they make here - they look and taste like Bricks. 

They also can't do gravy. And roast chicken dinners with the skin on - WTF is that about. Who eats SKIN !?

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

The problem i find is the yorkshire puddings they make here - they look and taste like Bricks. 

Agree with that, always very dense. Never found a good one in Bangkok.

They also can't do gravy. And roast chicken dinners with the skin on - WTF is that about. Who eats SKIN !?

No way!! Roast chicken should absolutely have skin on! Nice and crispy. Who the Hell takes the skin off a roast chicken??

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Nothing wrong with white meats like Chicken. Avoid red meats. 

Nothing wrong with grass-fed red meat. It's probably about the most nutrionally dense food you can consume. Hard to beat a good roast beef or better still, roast lamb.

Edited by mstevens
  • Thumbs Up 1