colloidal silver for reproducing autoflower seeds.

as you might be aware autoflower seeds, heck...photoperiod seeds too are expensive as hell. 2300 bht for 5 auto seeds. i read about colloidal silver a while ago and decided to try it. turns out colloidal silver is expensive too. so, i watched some youtube videos and decided to make my own colloidal silver. 

i sprayed my plants per instructions and soon started to have male sacs appear. now, i have 4 plants full of growing seeds. i took one off the other day and planted it after curing it 24 hrs. i am super stoked and can't wait to see it it will germinate. the autos have been growing 2 months now and i can tell they are not quite ready to be harvested for the seeds yet. 

i am very happy about the results and i will try to update this OP and also try to add some pics.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

STS (Silver Thiosulfate) for producing feminized seeds, I have found, is far more reliable and predictable, especially in high temp/high humidity environments. It is extremely difficult to quantify colloidal silver ppms and can create some unusual mutations. STS is far easier to work with.

There are multiple SOP/TEKS on the internet that can be found. Happy to help with any guidance….

45 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

STS (Silver Thiosulfate) for producing feminized seeds, I have found, is far more reliable and predictable, especially in high temp/high humidity environments. It is extremely difficult to quantify colloidal silver ppms and can create some unusual mutations. STS is far easier to work with.

There are multiple SOP/TEKS on the internet that can be found. Happy to help with any guidance….

Sure thing... so far results really good. Will post pics.

I really dont want to buy seeds anymore.

If successful i will buy a few strains i like and seed them. I also plan on cross pollinating. For now my test is on northern lights... really like this strain

Colloidal silver really cheap and easy to make. STSseems more complicated.

5 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Sure thing... so far results really good. Will post pics.

I really dont want to buy seeds anymore.

If successful i will buy a few strains i like and seed them. I also plan on cross pollinating. For now my test is on northern lights... really like this strain

Colloidal silver really cheap and easy to make. STSseems more complicated.

I need 5-6oz/year ....... that's 5 plants ......... 25gbp/year for feminised seeds.

Edited by BritManToo

this is one of my plants... it is just teeming with male sacs and it also has many seeds. i just spotted some spider mites. fortunately i am about to cut them and dry them. these plants were not grown to smoke but rather to produce seeds and for now it seems to have worked. the plants are very short. i tried growing them outside and it is likely cos of this that they are stunted. i bought a 400 watt HPS light and next time i will not make the same mistake

DSCF0182.JPG

DSCF0183.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SamuiGrower said:

SOP/TEKS

I dont know what this is. i youtubed it but found nothing

i will look into sts and compare with colloidal. the results with colloidal were pretty good as you can see. but i am always willing to give a go to new things

36 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

it is just teeming with male sacs and it also has many seeds.

Don’t forget, it takes 8 weeks of flowering (pollination) to produce fertile/viable seeds - same amount time it takes to make buds.

TEK = technique

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SamuiGrower said:

Don’t forget, it takes 8 weeks of flowering (pollination) to produce fertile/viable seeds - same amount time it takes to make buds.

thanks i googled for info but couldnt find any about how long for viable seed... thanks thanks thanks...

they started to flower a month after planting... which I found to be a bit quick. they it has been a month since they started flowering so i guess i still have around a month to go.

did you ever cross pollinate auto-flowers? I plan on doing this. i have some purple punch auto flower seed i want to make seeds with first, then i plan on cross pollinating with northern lights. any inside info here?

and I plan to get an led light on shopee (yeah I grow outdoors and I have i nice 12 meter container i am not using to grow anything in... it is chock full of tools... shame on me) 

What you think of this?

https://shopee.co.th/????-ล้างสต็อก????Wills-600W-เต็มสเปกตรัม-เต้นปลูกต้นไม้-ไดโอดเปล่งแสง-ตัวใหม่ล่าสุด-ไฟต้นไม้-ไฟปลูกต้นไม้-Full-Spectrum-LED-Grow-Light-กันน้ำ-การหรี่-ไฟเลี้ยงต้นไม้-i.894073151.23306841914?sp_atk=233b5a12-fdc5-4e2b-b3a5-77d01170c774&xptdk=233b5a12-fdc5-4e2b-b3a5-77d01170c774

or this?

https://shopee.co.th/Full-Spectrum-LED-Grow-Light-1000W-plant-Grow-light-ช่วยให้พืชโตเร็วขึ้น-PPE-2.5umol-เพิ่มผลผลิต-ยอมรับการลดแสง-0-10V-i.953984209.19889791919?sp_atk=1fd73e0f-7daf-4d59-9307-36807f1d3796&xptdk=1fd73e0f-7daf-4d59-9307-36807f1d3796

Edited by Pouatchee

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

did you ever cross pollinate auto-flowers?

No. I have been working on mid to large scale grows (consulting) since 2014, and from my experience, do not find autoflowers reliable enough to work with at scale, economically. I have done trials with them and frankly, find they get wonky with any stress event (temperature, humidity - VPD fluctuation). “Early” flowering (SOG and SCROG style), single cola, ridiculously low yields, phenotype fluctuation AND if that’s not enough, they can herm (express hermaphroditism) as fast as you can say, “ladyboy”.

I have done genetic projects. My company developed Cherry Abacus and Cherry Abacus 2.0 with the 2018 Farm Bill, Hemp legalization in 2018 in the USA. It’s a high CBD, low THC, with some decent secondary cannabinoids as well. If you Google it, you will see every Tom, Dick and Mohammed seedbank offering Cherry Abacus. No two are the same because, like I have stated before, the two biggest lies in the cannabis seedbank sector is: the name of the strain and the THC percentage. I have a few million CHAB and CHAB 2.0. ——BUT I DIGRESS!!!! Sorry. ????????????

With that said, I do know this: it will take 5 generations of back crossing to create anything remotely stable with autoflowers. You can expect a lot of phenotypes with unsatisfying characteristics, to put it gently. It will be very difficult to control unplanned cross pollination while you’re trying to find phenos with good characteristics..

I realize not everyone is growing commercially and hobby grows are awesome but do the work with photos (photoperiod C. Indica/Sativa) - it’s much more satisfying and far more reliable. Autoflowers (C. Ruderalis) just aren’t wired the same way. Their carbon footprint, nutritional and lighting expense are the same as a photoperiod and they yield far, far less. Ultimately, it’s this that makes it a non-starter for me.

What do I think of those light choices? I take a very dim view of them, pardon the pun. I don’t want to sound preachy BUT do not skimp on your lights. Lights are the primary source of yield and potency they should NEVER be your limiting factor, not even if you plan on growing one plant. It would be a waste of bandwidth to state all the reasons why you shouldn’t buy ‘those’ lights. 

Buy a standard form-factor light bar style light like Mars Hydro. If your intent is a knock-off ‘cheaper’ option, try alibaba - there are some terrific options, and if you’re interested I would make a recommendation. I wouldn’t consider (in a hobby grow) anything less than 650 watts if you’re looking for quality, dense flower with great bag appeal. Buy a ‘standard’’ PAR (ePAR), full spectrum, 3000-3500 kelvin/color for veg & flowering. Current Samsung LM301B/H diodes and Meanwell drivers. Good=650 watt, Better=800 watt, Best=1000 watt. 

We trialed these and loved them. They are here in Thailand and I have no affiliation.

https://phlizonth.com/products/phlizon-ultra-full-spectrum-led-grow-bar-light-8-bars

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Best to buy your seeds from attitude seedbank in the UK. Delivery 10gbp, delivered to your Thai home in less than 14 days. Auto seeds from 2gbp and up.

Siam Seeds are cheaper than Attitude and next day delivery in Thailand with free shipping. 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

this is one of my plants... it is just teeming with male sacs and it also has many seeds. i just spotted some spider mites. fortunately i am about to cut them and dry them. these plants were not grown to smoke but rather to produce seeds and for now it seems to have worked. the plants are very short. i tried growing them outside and it is likely cos of this that they are stunted. i bought a 400 watt HPS light and next time i will not make the same mistake

What are you doing with all the seeds?

You realise they are only good for 6 months in Thailand.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

i just plucked a few seeds off one of my plants. i got twenty and there are still many more left to pick but i will wait another couple of weeks before harvesting them. i have a total of four plants so i figure i might get a hundred seeds in all.

when you think of it, i paid 2800 bht from queens seeds for ten seeds and now i will prolly not have to buy seed anymore. I have northern lights and purple punch autos and i plan on cross pollinating to see what i can get. i pretty much enjoy the science of it since i really cant smoke anymore due to my copd. it sucks!

for anyone who does not want to grow weed on an industrial scale, i think autos are the way to go especially if one can reproduce seeds easily. if one auto give let's say one ounce... then ten ounces in 12 weeks is pretty good in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

i think autos are the way to go especially if one can reproduce seeds easily.

Easy, yes, but those seeds will have such genetic diversity it will look like a grab bag of good, bad and ugly. When crossing autos in particular, the MxF (male x female) lineage of each strain will produce a staggering amount of genetic diversity. Autoflowering, in general, is a recessive trait and your crosses will produce any number of the following phenotypes: male & female photoperiod seeds, hermaphrodites, males & female autos. As far as the characteristics of purple punch and NL’s in the seeds that are produced - like I said above, good, bad, and ugly. There is far less of a “freak show” when crossing photoperiods because there is no Cannabis Ruderalis (autoflowers) in their genetics. I would like to point out that ALL autoflowers on the market are a cross between C. Ruderalis and C. Sativa/Indica. On a good day, each autoflower strain already has 4-5 phenotypes. So when you cross two autoflowers you can expect 16-25 different phenotypes.

Culling out phenos from auto x auto crosses will take 5 generations to produce stable seeds and traits. As I stated in a previous post, it’s easier to work with photoperiods as far as stability. You can do one F1 cross then back cross for S1. Two generations for stable genetics.

But since you like ‘the science’ and it’s been a rewarding hobby, have fun. It will be like getting a grab bag of 100 different seeds! ???? Your seeds will provide years of genetic diversity.

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

Easy, yes, but those seeds will have such genetic diversity it will look like a grab bag of good, bad and ugly.

we will discuss some more as i go forth in my trials. your advice is always welcome as you seem to know your stuff

• Like 1