Prasart - New Speed Limit with cameras

AhFarangJa

54 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Just to clarify, are we talking about Prasat, Surin?  - Presumably, t going south to north - towards Surin?

Sorry, should have been more clear, yes it is the 214 road through Prasart that goes on to join the 293 ring road around Surin. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

And they think the locals are going to take any notice? 

Yes, as I posted there was huge pile in the post office waiting to be paid. Not counting all the ones that would be paid by internet.......Or maybe they will not get paid !!!

On 10/10/2023 at 10:34 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Just a heads up for anyone near, or driving through Prasart town. There are signs up at both ends with a 40km speed limit. They now have cameras. Just had a ticket for 500 baht from end July. Went to the post office this morning, and he showed me a pile of tickets that had to be at least 8 inches deep. He said no worry, not just you, all these to pay this week.....:w00t:

I found one camera near the school, but apparently there are two more hiding somewhere. So, when driving from the lights at Tesco until after the police station stick to 40.

Did you also get points off your licence? 

The fines can be paid in a few seconds with mobile banking using the barcode on the ticket. Very convenient but I have managed to avoid them by being more careful about speed limits the last year. Other drivers still race past me when I am doing a couple of kpm under the limt though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Did you also get points off your licence? 

The fines can be paid in a few seconds with mobile banking using the barcode on the ticket. Very convenient but I have managed to avoid them by being more careful about speed limits the last year. Other drivers still race past me when I am doing a couple of kpm under the limt though.

You do not get points off for speeding here. The joke is that it converts to just 24 mph. Now, when I drive through the town all the motorbikes are racing past me....with no numberplates on.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife's been caught by one on the way from home in Mahasarakham to work in Roi Et three times. It's about 9 km after the border. She's never been caught going the other way though. In more of a hurry to get to work than come home to me I suppose.

I think the first time was in June and then twice within a week in July or August. I did wonder how many people pay them and what happens if you don't? I seem to remember a story on here recently about chasing unpaid fines but I didn't read it.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:18 PM, retarius said:

Now I don't get any. 

I should say that other drivers have huge problems with me driving at the speed limit and that road rage is a constant possibility. But c'est la vie.

Same with me ... oh well, patience is a virtue ????

I set cruise control @ 90kph when on the highway.   If you're stuck behind me, you'll just have to way till I can get over & only if I can get back before I'm stuck behind slower traffic.

Means most times, you're screwed for a few kms ... ????

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kimamey said:

My wife's been caught by one on the way from home in Mahasarakham to work in Roi Et three times. It's about 9 km after the border. She's never been caught going the other way though. In more of a hurry to get to work than come home to me I suppose.

I think the first time was in June and then twice within a week in July or August. I did wonder how many people pay them and what happens if you don't? I seem to remember a story on here recently about chasing unpaid fines but I didn't read it.

Apparently, when you go to renew your road tax it pops up you have unpaid fines, and you have to clear them before you can tax your vehicle. However, we renewed our tax the day before we paid the ticket, so that system is still in it's infancy. On the other hand, if you do not tax your car..........my B.I.L. car last tax sticker is 63.........

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Apparently, when you go to renew your road tax it pops up you have unpaid fines, and you have to clear them before you can tax your vehicle. However, we renewed our tax the day before we paid the ticket, so that system is still in it's infancy. On the other hand, if you do not tax your car..........my B.I.L. car last tax sticker is 63.........

There are quite a few vehicles with faded numbers on their plates and I wouldn't be surprised if some use fake ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, kimamey said:

There are quite a few vehicles with faded numbers on their plates and I wouldn't be surprised if some use fake ones.

Very true, about three years ago the Brother In Law borrowed our truck for a day. Next morning I noticed the front plate was missing. He was as surprised as myself, and said to the Wife that he can get a new one from a friend for 700 Baht. I flatly refused, and insisted on a police report. This we took to the Tessabahn and applied for a new plate. While waiting we were stopped two times because no plate, but showed the letter to prove we were waiting. New plate cost around 150 Baht including the report. 

It took some time, but the Wife finally understood that without the report anyone could fit our plate to the front of the car and we would get the fines in the post, regardless of whether it was a correct model vehicle or not. It would then be our responsibility to prove it was not our vehicle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2023 at 4:29 PM, AhFarangJa said:

You do not get points off for speeding here. The joke is that it converts to just 24 mph. Now, when I drive through the town all the motorbikes are racing past me....with no numberplates on.

Here are the details for fines and points

<<<< Link to the Bangkok Post removed as per the forum rules >>>>

https://www.phuket-motorbike-rental.com/the-penalties-for-traffic-offenses-in-thailand/

IH

Edited by metisdead
Edit
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2023 at 8:44 AM, Datsun 1200 said:

If these cameras were really to reduce accidents I would agree with them, but the facts are they put cameras where it is safe to speed a little and that is how they catch so many. Some in Perth are making A$1,000,000 a day and the Govt has become addicted to the easy money. I'm afraid once they discover how profitable they are, there will be more and more ; (

IH

True, in Perth they put a lot of effort into finding these special spots where drivers are coming out of round-a-bouts and congested areas into a nice open straight stretch of road and naturally their speed increases momentarily and ZAP.

• Like 1

Perth is a Nazi state when it comes to raping the average motorist for money. They are totally addicted to the huge easy money these cameras generate. One Stationary Speed Camera on the Mitchell Freeway was reported to have made over A$1,000,000 over a long weekend. Local Govts get addicted to the money really quickly and we will see more and more of them unfortunately".

Luckily these Jammers are legal here ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vortexradar.com/2022/09/adaptiv-tpx-automotive-laser-jammer-review/%3famp=1

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/your-essential-guide-to-thailands-new-driving-license-points-system/

https://www.phuket-motorbike-rental.com/the-penalties-for-traffic-offenses-in-thailand/

IH

Edited by Datsun 1200

23 hours ago, Datsun 1200 said:

Perth is a Nazi state when it comes to raping the average motorist for money. They are totally addicted to the huge easy money these cameras generate. One Stationary Speed Camera on the Mitchell Freeway was reported to have made over A$1,000,000 over a long weekend. Local Govts get addicted to the money really quickly and we will see more and more of them unfortunately".

Luckily these Jammers are legal here ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vortexradar.com/2022/09/adaptiv-tpx-automotive-laser-jammer-review/%3famp=1

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/your-essential-guide-to-thailands-new-driving-license-points-system/

IH

It's a Nazi state period mate, not just motoring. The entire country is a Nazi/Fascist state. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2023 at 11:57 PM, AhFarangJa said:

Very true, about three years ago the Brother In Law borrowed our truck for a day. Next morning I noticed the front plate was missing. He was as surprised as myself, and said to the Wife that he can get a new one from a friend for 700 Baht. I flatly refused, and insisted on a police report. This we took to the Tessabahn and applied for a new plate. While waiting we were stopped two times because no plate, but showed the letter to prove we were waiting. New plate cost around 150 Baht including the report. 

It took some time, but the Wife finally understood that without the report anyone could fit our plate to the front of the car and we would get the fines in the post, regardless of whether it was a correct model vehicle or not. It would then be our responsibility to prove it was not our vehicle.

Thankfully most of my travel is on my motorbike - as yet, I've never been caught for speeding on my bike because the cameras only capture the front view and bikes have no front plate. Unlike cameras in the UK which capture both front and rear views.

• Thumbs Up 1