How is the air quality outside of smoke season?

smallchungus

Living in Chiang Mai I find the air quality ok for most of the year, outside of burning season.

During rain season, after a heavy rain, air is very clean for a little while.

• Sad 1

On 10/13/2023 at 9:23 AM, smallchungus said:

Where in Thailand can I live that has good air or at least acceptable year around? I was going to visit Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, and Udon Thani but it sounds like pollution is an issue everywhere I’m interested in

Southern Thailand, from Hua Hin south to Hat Yai. The sweet spot is the zone between Surat Thani to Nakhorn Si Thamerat. To the north you can catch the haze coming south March/April and in the south you can catch the haze coming north August/September.

Hat Yai is generally good but some years you get the haze from Indonesia, though this year has been fine.

2023-10-1818_26_50-HatYaiMunicipalitySongkhlaThailandAirPollution_Real-timeAirQualityIn.jpg.71e8917885ff7818e97e5455460b001d.jpg

Edited by Stocky
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bangkok is currently going through a hazardous pollution alert. It's not only the farm fires but also the uncontrolled motor vehicles stuck in jams. Public transport should be developped, with better connections to the outskirts of Bangkok area and individual private cars restricted from the downtown areas (except taxis, public service or bolt, grab etc etc). Pollution hazard does not only hit the poo. Even the hi-so's can suffer from the bad air quality despite being in hermetic environments and closed aircon environments. But of course, who cares really here ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Northern Thailand where I live, once it starts raining and though most of High Season is usually really nice.  By February it usually has all gone to hell and we begin to wait for the rains to happen again. 

Now Bangkok?  Different story.  If I remember right they tend to get inversion layers in the atmosphere which traps the smog in during High Season cooling.  So - it depends.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The crap fest starts somewhere in January and can last until somewhere in May while it gradually gets worse and worse till deep toxic purple values. Depending when the weather gods relief us, after which everyone Thai forgets about it again.

and the amount of silly talk every year and the lack of creating national awareness. The gov loves ignorance.

btw current issues are Indonesian fires, but the wind is ok now. Singapore suffers most of those an is most vocal about it too. Nothing to do with cars and what not. Unless you live right next to a super busy road. Not to say they should finally get rid of those ridiculous old public buses from the '60's, but that is another topic.

meanwhile Europe is talking peanuts and making everyone live more expensive, while ignoring what is the biggest issue on the other side of the world. Not in my backyard attitude. Sigh.

Edited by Blablaat