Forum upgrade in progress! ×

How is the air quality outside of smoke season?

smallchungus

Maybe you should tell us what part of Thailand you are talking about. The different aprts of the country have their own 'smog season'. The south has less smog issues than the rest of the country in general. The north is heavily polluted from end November until May.   

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Maybe you should tell us what part of Thailand you are talking about. The different aprts of the country have their own 'smog season'. The south has less smog issues than the rest of the country in general. The north is heavily polluted from end November until May.   

I’m talking about Chiang Mai.  The city.

35 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

He posted in CM forum.

Your last statement is strange: either you don't live here,  or you have a rather strict definition of "heavily polluted".

The last statement by the OP is correct. Outside that 2.5-3 months window, the air is quite acceptable or sometimes even very clean, like during the rainy season. Today no rain, AQI 30 (total).

Edited by arithai12
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's the summary air quality readings of key indicator PM2.5 for CM for thus far in 2023:

Purple is hazardous, red is unhealthy for all

Orange is unhealthy for sensitive groups.

Screenshot_6.jpg.7d961b2220b7848eebbf65c8796ec0cc.jpg

And for 2022 and 2023:

Screenshot_5.jpg.a3f215826c7f414856cd73ef3a05e749.jpg

The pollution levels, and periods of impact, vary some year to year depending on the weather, general economic/agricultural conditions, local burning activities, levels of (un) enforcement by local authorities, etc. etc.

https://aqicn.org/station/thailand-khua-mung-รร.บ้านปากเหมือง-ต.ขัวมุง-อ.สารภี-จ.เชียงใหม่

Thanks so much.  This is exactly what I was looking for

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, smallchungus said:

Where in Thailand can I live that has good air or at least acceptable year around? I was going to visit Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, and Udon Thani but it sounds like pollution is an issue everywhere I’m interested in

There are a few remote areas in the world today that aren't affected by seasonal air pollution, but I doubt there are any cities that remain clear all year around. This year, many US and Canadian cities had much worse air pollution than northern Thailand!

We've lived here 23 years, and have never been bothered by the air pollution. We have never felt the need to leave during Burning Season, although we do turn on two (1,000 baht each) air purifiers in our house, and for perhaps 2-3 weeks in the middle of the season will put on N95 masks when we go outside. We do not stop playing, we do not stop traveling, nor do we stop or change ANY of our normal daily routine because of the air quality. We just deal with it as we would any other climate condition. Blizzard... we put on snow tires and drive a little slower. Rain... we use an umbrella and don't wear good shoes. Air Pollution... we use air purifiers at home and masks outside. No problem.  ????

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, smallchungus said:

Is air quality worse in dry season across all of Thailand or is Chiang Mai particularly worse during dry season as well (not including burning season)

Air quality is not good across mainland SEAsia (and the subcontinent btw) in the hot season. No rains, little wind, burning of agricultural & forest land in preparation for the rains return, makes for heat, haze and smoke. Yes, Chiang Mai because of its location and topography does get it a bit worse than other places. The peninsula and islands have a different climate pattern, and it helps being close to the sea in clearing out some of the haze. Still I have been in Hua Hin when it was dry burnt on the hillsides and hazy atmosphere. It's always something.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

There are a few remote areas in the world today that aren't affected by seasonal air pollution, but I doubt there are any cities that remain clear all year around. This year, many US and Canadian cities had much worse air pollution than northern Thailand!

We've lived here 23 years, and have never been bothered by the air pollution. We have never felt the need to leave during Burning Season, although we do turn on two (1,000 baht each) air purifiers in our house, and for perhaps 2-3 weeks in the middle of the season will put on N95 masks when we go outside. We do not stop playing, we do not stop traveling, nor do we stop or change ANY of our normal daily routine because of the air quality. We just deal with it as we would any other climate condition. Blizzard... we put on snow tires and drive a little slower. Rain... we use an umbrella and don't wear good shoes. Air Pollution... we use air purifiers at home and masks outside. No problem.  ????

No Problem my gawd 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, smallchungus said:

Is air quality worse in dry season across all of Thailand or is Chiang Mai particularly worse during dry season as well (not including burning season)

All over especially Isaan and z PattYa was terrible last year worst year I can remember 

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Any other climate condition? Smog isnt a flijate condition, you know? About 30,000 people die each year because of the burning, many more end up in hospital, but you have never been bothered by it. Are you a chain smoker?

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Any other climate condition? Smog isnt a flijate condition, you know? About 30,000 people die each year because of the burning, many more end up in hospital, but you have never been bothered by it. Are you a chain smoker?

I was a heavy smoker for 40+ years, but quit 25 years ago. And you're correct, I misspoke. The smog does interfere with some of the photos I'd like to take. That bothers me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3