Management Costs Building A House

At this moment in time my brother in law is building a house for me and my wife. We talked about compensation but no way he wanted to accept. He even got angry.

However, we know he does not earn a lot and while doing our house he will not be able to do another job. Mostly he does 2 or 3 jobs in a time, a foreman per job and some labour.

So we will compensate him. The question is: how much? We can not offend with a too low amount and neither with a too high amount. Does anybody know what % of the building value is reasonable?

Another thing is that I think it is better to help him in another way, not direct payment. I am afraid direct payment would be offensive. Or do you think differently about this?

I'm amazed by your complete lack of sensitivity. You're purposely trying to offend a relative. Incredible. Your wife should be able to provide some guidance but, in your case, I doubt she'll have any luck.

I agreed you should respect his wishes and give him nothing. Then he will ask and it will be a lot at least forty percent of labor amd materials. Do not worry you will pay are you sure it the brother not the *******

Edited by esbobes

"agree to his remuneration before you start "

The guy wants nothing in return to provide a good home for his relative. End. Full stop. That's it.

In another thread, a guy complained because his father-in-law (a builder, and contractor) wanted $5US/day to supervise and oversee the construction of the home. I'd consider $5/day well spent, but a Cheap Charlie considered a properly built home was a waste of money.

Things are not always as straightforward as they seem. What people say is not always what people want or need. I know and my wife knows and his parents know that my brother in law can not affort to be a philantrop and spend 3 months of his time doing "Tham Boen" for his family.

I understand and repect his wishes to provide a home for his sister and me. I believe them to be genuine and I am grateful for that.

In the mean "the chimney has to smoke" and together with my wife and my parents in law we will find a suitable way to compensate in a "non offensive way". I very much respect the subtle way of dealing of my mother in law, so I have no worries there.

What I try to get a feel for is a suitable %. Suppose there will be compensation then it is important to do that in a proper way. Offering peanuts is the surest way to offend people

If he is taking 3 months off work then offer to cover his 3 months pay plus a nice little bonus on completion if the job is a good one.

If all the labourers get a small bonus too he will accept for sure. It doesnt have to be much.

I know you said he doesn't want anything, but come on, seriously???

Don't think in percentages. Depends where you are building in Thailand - what is the average daily wage? Think in these terms. If he were to work as a laborer or supervisor, how much would he get paid. That is only fair.

Also, if he takes all the heat from the builder/workers and resolves most of the big problems withou getting you involved (what he should be doing anyway), the a bonus at the end of the job would be appropriate - maybe because he is a family member.

One point I want to bring up. He also may be getting a commission (kick back) from some of the trades or building supply houses. I know, I know, you will say "no way", but this is part of the Thai culture. I know for a fact that family members make commissions from other family members - it happens. So, he may be making a small amount of money from these sources.

Hope you will be overseeing the job on a daily/weekly basis. I'm sure you will catch errors that he might overlook.

Good luck and hope it turns out just the way you want it.

Check out this site for a better understanding of Thai generosity.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php?p=526&...p;tb=1&pb=1

Who knows if it applies in your case or not? I reckon I would pay him for the job myself rather than potentially being eternally in debt to him.

That's the one he should read alright. Nam jai creates boon koon. You WILL owe him something. You can define what that is and how often you must pay it, or he can, later. 15,000 baht/mo is about what a construction foreman makes in residential construction here. I would find a way to get that money or same value compensation to him. One problem with having do something like this for free is, that while it's terribly generous, it also makes it more difficult for you to be critical of mistakes if you find any.

wages for foremen depend a lot upon the area you live in. We live 60 miles south of Bangkok and are extending our house, We have agreed a rate of 300 baht per day for the foreman and have an excellent guy who has organised all the labour and makes sure the workers work. hard.

Our original quote was for 70k baht for his services and so far the total-and I mean total labour bill looks like being around 40 k

Things are not always as straightforward as they seem. What people say is not always what people want or need. I know and my wife knows and his parents know that my brother in law can not affort to be a philantrop and spend 3 months of his time doing "Tham Boen" for his family.

I understand and repect his wishes to provide a home for his sister and me. I believe them to be genuine and I am grateful for that.

In the mean "the chimney has to smoke" and together with my wife and my parents in law we will find a suitable way to compensate in a "non offensive way". I very much respect the subtle way of dealing of my mother in law, so I have no worries there.

What I try to get a feel for is a suitable %. Suppose there will be compensation then it is important to do that in a proper way. Offering peanuts is the surest way to offend people

Why are you asking us for advice when you get on with your mother n law :o

I believe 10% of a build cost is standard in the UK.

Whatever you do though I agree with those who said earlier that something must be agreed, even if it's just with your parents in law, before the work starts. Later there would be room for real offence and bad feeling.