Ideas For Must Sees In November Please

quisie

Hi,

This is my first post, so hello to you all. I've been lurking for a while now, reading the posts and now is the time for me to ask you all a question.

I'm travelling to Thailand in the autumn and will be in the Northern Isaan region in November. This will be my first trip out and I thought, who better to give me ideas than those that live there?

So, I'd be very grateful for ideas on what to see - and maybe what is not worth seeing!

I have already earmarked the Jurassic Park/Sirindhorn Museum in Kalasin Province. And the Loy Krathong festival.

There will be no children on the trip, just middle aged people.

Transport/ accomodation will be organised once we have worked out an itinery!

many thanks

:o

Hi,

This is my first post, so hello to you all. I've been lurking for a while now, reading the posts and now is the time for me to ask you all a question.

I'm travelling to Thailand in the autumn and will be in the Northern Isaan region in November. This will be my first trip out and I thought, who better to give me ideas than those that live there?

So, I'd be very grateful for ideas on what to see - and maybe what is not worth seeing!

I have already earmarked the Jurassic Park/Sirindhorn Museum in Kalasin Province. And the Loy Krathong festival.

many thanks

Elephant round up 3rd week in Nov Surin :D

Hi,

many thanks

Elephant round up 3rd week in Nov Surin :D

Book quickly to avoid disappointment..

See here for more info - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129619

Totster :D

Hi,

many thanks

Just click onto the link at the top of the page. www.farangconnection.com

Is it just Northern Issan that you will travel around?

yes, really we are looking at the Nakhon Phanom/ Udon Thani/ Kalasin areas - coming up from Kanchana buri area (please excuse any spelling mistakes :o )

thanks

Hi,

many thanks for that, most is probably a little south, but i am sharing the info with my friend and we will see what happens. thank you again :o

Equally important is: what are you interested in? Not much good sending you on a '1000 year old temple tour' if you want to play in the river rapids.

Excellent question - I should've thought of that - doh!

River rapids might be fun, but probably out of our league nowadays! I think we really want to see the real Thailand rather than just the touristy bits. Our tastes are quite varied though and would be equally enthralled by ancient ruins and spectacular scenery, people weaving silk in their villages to ornate temples.

Having lived in foreign countries I know we discovered things that tourists rarely ever saw.

Everything will be so different to us that I think we will just want to see everything we can in the two - three weeks we'll be there. Including any festivals.

What we do not want are shopping areas/ nightlife or wild water rafting! But river trips and local markets are different.

Thank you for your patience :o

Hi,

many thanks

:D

:D:o Do i get anything free for promoting your website :

quisie

Ive done that drive twice & believe me theres lots to see & do.

But you have said just the northern part(Shame :o)

So heres a link for things to see & do in Kalasin

http://www.thailandguidebook.com/provinces/kalasin.html

Udon Thani = http://www.thailandguidebook.com/provinces/udonthani.html

Nakhon Phanom = http://www.thailandguidebook.com/provinces...hon_phanom.html

If you are traveling from Kanchanaburi by car or bus suggest a 4 or 5 hour stopover at Prasat Hin Phimai a Khmer empire Angkor Wat style temple just north of Korat.

http://thailandforvistors.com/isan/korat/phimai/index.html

A trip to Mukdahan, about an hour and a half from Kalasin might be of interest. Situated on the Mekong River you will find plenty of river cruise opportunities as well as a diverse variety of cultural activities.

http://www.thailandguidebook.com/provinces/udonthani.html

Enjoy your visit.

Edited by roietjimmy

If you are driving from Udon towards Kalasin one interesting place enroute (before Khon Kaen) is the King Cobra village near Nam Phong. From Kalasin I see that you plan to visit the dinosaur museum and it might make sense to combine that with a trip to see the Limpao reservoir. There is a beautiful wooden temple on the hills above but I have forgotten the name. Probably the Kalasin guidebook will give you enough ideas for your stay there. However, some lesser known but worthwhile sites include the ancient carved stones (seema) collected in the grounds of a temple at Ban Seema (on route 214 from Kalasin to Kamalasai), and the two very old Buddha images at the two main temples in Amphur Kantarawichai (past Yang Talat from Kalasin). I like the reconstructed traditional Isaan village at Amphur Nadun but that is probably too far south.

Hi

Not sure how far you intend to travel but a plug for my own town, Satuk, 40 kms from Buriram, first weekend in November the dragon boat racing takes place over a few days on the Mun river.

Always a colourfull enjoyable few days.

TBWG :o

Quisie,

You are getting plenty of ideas all of which look like they fit into your areas of interest. As with most holidays, there is much to see and so little time. Many of the good things to see will require some travel from Kalasin. Buses are certainly a good way to go to get from town to town but then you will have the problem of getting to the end destination. Many of the hotels offer drivers so you can look into this as a way of getting around. The hotels can be a bit expensive so I suggest looking into the possibility of hiring a private car and driver for the period you are in the area. I don't live in Kalasin, so I'm afraid I can't help much with recommendations but hopefully others in the Isaan forum will have some ideas of who to hire and prices.

Edited by roietjimmy

• 3 weeks later...

very sorry all, you must think me extremely rude just disappearing like I did.

Just as I was swapping the wonderful information you gave me, we had those rather large puddles here that rather took precedence.

The people I was travelling with are thrilled with the ideas and have, I think, got an excellent yet relaxed itinerary, unfortunately I shall not be joining them though.

Very grateful thanks for all the help.

best regards