Soy Beans

LaReina

Edamame is very popular, do you know what kind of beans you have?

edamame (ed-ah-MAH-may) are a special type of large-seeded soybean bred to be eaten fresh. The fuzzy pods are harvested while still green and the edible portion is the bean seeds inside the pod. Their flavor is sweet, buttery, and slightly nutty.

Edamame traditionally are eaten as a snack or appetizer. Place them in boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes. The beans will be bright green. When cool enough to handle, remove the beans from the pods and sprinkle with a little salt. Edamame can also be steamed or microwaved. Cooked and lightly salted, they are a popular snack in Japan served with cold beer.

http://coopfoodstore.com/news/Archives/Arch_9_02/ what_cook.html

Salt and Pepper Edamame

Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine

Show: Cooking Live

Episode: Global Cocktail Party

1/2 cups kosher salt

4 (1 pound) bags frozen edamame

Cook edamame in 4 batches in salted boiling water until tender, about 4 minutes, and immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. Return water to a boil between batches. Drain in a colander and pat dry. Toss edamame with salt to taste and serve with remainder on the side.

Food Network

OOOOOOOPS!

Thanks SBk, for answering..

My terminology was incorrect. I do not have fresh as in green. But not pre-cooked are soft (as in a can).

I have nice hard small, light brown round soy beans, in a thai package with no instructions on how to cook them.

Are edamame readily found here?

They need to be cooked in a pressure cooker or they won't ever get soft. Once they are done saute some onion and garlic, add tomato paste and some water to make a thick sauce. Salt, pepper, and otherwise season how you like, oregano and basil for Italian. Serve over rice or pasta or whole wheat toast.

Also possible to soak them overnight, change the water and cook them for a very very long time. And even then, I think they will be crunchier than regular beans.

Even better, plant them and eat edamame!

If you like clear soup like 'gaeng judd' try:

Pork bones

Soy beans (soaked at least 30 mins)

Assorted vegetables - up to you (e.g. cabbage, celery, bean curd, couple slices carrots, winter melon, 1-2 dried mushrooms, chinese celery, etc.)

Boil pork bones and soy beans for at least 30-60 mins.

Cook vegetables last to preserve vitamins and texture.

If you wish drop in a stock cube.

P/s: I replied too fast - this is not a western dish.

Edited by LadyinRed