Non O from London

I am looking into applying for a single entry Non O on retirement basis from London and have several questions.

Once issued could I then travel to Thailand and get a re entry permit to keep it valid before extending for 1 year when returning a month later?

Also I would need health insurance for the initial application and am having trouble finding somewhere that does just 3 months insurance.

Previously I applied for a Non O-A and had to submit a police check and a medical form. 

For the Non O as I understand it these are not required ?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting to hear that health insurance is not required as it is listed as something needed on the London website.

So if you say it is not needed then that is a bonus.

I have not filled out the application and so would not know if there is a requirement.

1 hour ago, mlkik said:

Once issued could I then travel to Thailand and get a re entry permit to keep it valid before extending for 1 year when returning a month later?

Why bother obtaining non O retirement in London given the fact you plan to exit Thailand during the 90 day stamp.

Yes a reentry permit would enable you to do that.

Do you have a Thai bank account? 

You can obtain a Non O retirement in Thailand from visa exempt or tourist visa entry..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why bother obtaining non O retirement in London given the fact you plan to exit Thailand during the 90 day stamp.

Yes a reentry permit would enable you to do that.

Do you have a Thai bank account? 

You can obtain a Non O retirement in Thailand from visa exempt or tourist visa entry..

A bit of background,in 2016 at age of 49 came to Thailand on METV and then at 50 converted into a Non O on retirement basis at Udon.

I kept these extensions going until covid came and was stuck outside Thailand.

Non O retirement extensions were not grounds to return to Thailand during lockdown and I was advised that if I wanted to return to Thailand then I would have to apply for a new Non O-A visa,which I did.

Unfortunately by the time this was procesed and I received my passport back the Non O extensions on retirement basis were again acceptable.

I did not renew this due to insurance.

Recently I have spent time in the UK looking after my Mother. However now I wish to spend much more time in Thailand and wish to get back on a long term visa /extension with a re entry permit.

If insurance is not needed then I will go for the multi entry Non O based on over 50 for retirement.

It does however say on the Embassy website that health insurance is needed for the application

I have had a Bangkok Bank account for 25 years or more.

Edited by mlkik

2 minutes ago, mlkik said:

If insurance is not needed then I will go for the multi entry Non O based on over 50 for retirement.

Don't take this to the bank however the insurance requirement for a non O (3 months) was a requirement during covid times.

That may still be listed on website but thinking no longer required.

Have you considered just returning to Thailand visa exempt and use TM87 to apply for non O in Thailand.

Since you have Thai bank account in place this would be an easy option 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't take this to the bank however the insurance requirement for a non O (3 months) was a requirement during covid times.

That may still be listed on website but thinking no longer required.

Have you considered just returning to Thailand visa exempt and use TM87 to apply for non O in Thailand.

Since you have Thai bank account in place this would be an easy option 

I will be returning visa exempt 20th Nov for 16 days and then will be back again in January for 31 days (miss counted the days and booked the flight and then realised I will need a visa for over 30 days)

Going forward I will be staying in the UK for 1 month then Thailand for a month repeat on going so although doing it in Udon is an easy process I think the option of applying in the UK maybe better because of only staying for a month at a time.

Edited by mlkik

6 minutes ago, mlkik said:

I will be returning visa exempt 20th Nove for 16 days and then will be back again in January for 31 days (miss counted the days and booked the flight and then realised I will need a visa for over 30 days)

Really think you need to think it through 

Regards your overstay 1 day ...

You will not be fined.

Yes overstay stamp but one day is insignificant.

If concerned about that you could obtain a 30 day extension to cover the one day (overkill) 

You have many options. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Really think you need to think it through 

Regards your overstay 1 day ...

You will not be fined.

Yes overstay stamp but one day is insignificant.

If concerned about that you could obtain a 30 day extension to cover the one day (overkill) 

You have many options. 

Only concern is technicaly could be refused boarding at UK airport.

Also I have a partner,a couple of dogs,house and a car in Udon ànd in the hear future will be staying in Thailand full time and not returning to the UK.

Edited by mlkik

Applied for a non O based on retirement from the Thai London embassy 4 months ago. Was a very simple online process and received visa within a few days. No insurance required. Needed to show £10k in a bank account for a 3 month period prior to application together with a few passport scans. 

Obtained a re-entry permit and travelled to London during the 3 month visa. 

I have since obtained a 12 month extension from Phuket immigration. That was quite a painful process (despite having all the necessary documentation and funds in place) and so was pleased I obtained the initial Non O online from London rather than left standing in the heat outside room 103 for hours just because I wasn’t using an agent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, novster said:

Applied for a non O based on retirement from the Thai London embassy 4 months ago. Was a very simple online process and received visa within a few days. No insurance required. Needed to show £10k in a bank account for a 3 month period prior to application together with a few passport scans. 

Obtained a re-entry permit and travelled to London during the 3 month visa. 

I have since obtained a 12 month extension from Phuket immigration. That was quite a painful process (despite having all the necessary documentation and funds in place) and so was pleased I obtained the initial Non O online from London rather than left standing in the heat outside room 103 for hours just because I wasn’t using an agent. 

So I take it you applied for the 3 month visa? 

I was thinking of this but if no insurance is required am tempted by the multi entry 12 month.

So there was not part of the process where you had to fill in regarding insurance?

The initial reply to my post mentioned uploading *not applicable*

Yes applied for single entry 3 month visa. It was not a requirement to have insurance for this visa. (I don’t know if it would be for a multi-entry non O based on retirement.)

Obviously had to leave Thailand and use it when re-entering. 

I uploaded a handwritten document with “not applicable” written on it on the online application. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mlkik said:

It does however say on the Embassy website that health insurance is needed for the application

As is often the case, the embassy website contains some incorrect information. For a single or multiple entry Non O visa (retirement) health insurance is not required. When applying through the e-visa system, simply upload a short note saying "not required for Non O visa".

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Is there really a ME non-O one year retirement visa available from London?  On the eVisa site I see a SE 90-day, but not a ME one year..

I use a ME one-year based on Thai spouse but need to exit every 90 days....

Yes

14 hours ago, mlkik said:

Thanks for your reply. Interesting to hear that health insurance is not required as it is listed as something needed on the London website.

So if you say it is not needed then that is a bonus.

I have not filled out the application and so would not know if there is a requirement.

In the middle of last year a pop up appeared on the e-visa site to say that from 1st July 2022 insurance would only be required for some visas, mainly O-A,O-X. Unfortunately pop-ups have a limited life and it would appear they have yet to update the website.

This is from the AXA website.

Starting from 1 July 2022, Thailand Pass is canceled, the insurance requirements will no longer be required for entering Thailand. Insurance requirements for other types of visa are dierent, please consult with the Thai Embassy or Consulate for the insurance requirements.

For Special Tourist Visa (STV) and O-A Visa: Health insurance policy which covers the period that the applicant intends to stay in Thailand with a coverage at least USD 100,000 for medical expenses relate to Covid-19 treatment.

For O-X Visa: Health insurance policy which covers the period that the applicant intends to stay in Thailand with a coverage of no less than THB 40,000 for outpatient treatment and THB 400,000 for in-patient. https://www.axa.co.th/en/faq-sawasdee-thailand-inbound#:~:text=What are the insurance requirements,be required for entering Thailand.

This is the reply I have received from the London Embassy.

Dear Sir/ Madam, 

Thank you for your email.

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA TYPE O Retirement (for single entry / multiple entries)

(For retirement long stay: valid for 90 days)

Eligible Applicants for O Retirement Visa

- This category of visa is issued to the applicant who is a UK, Ireland and UK Territories national or a permanent resident of such countries currently whose age is 50 years or over and currently residing in the UK Ireland and UK Territories

O Retirement Conditions

- Period of stay: The holder of an O Retirement Visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days (single entry).

- Extension: If a traveller would like to stay longer, it is possible to extend your stay up to 1 year. An application can be submitted at the immigration office in Thailand.

- Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

- If the O Retirement Visa holder breaches the entry conditions (for example, if he/she engages in work-related activities), the stay permit will be revoked and he/she will be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future.

Require Document 

1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document.                                                       
  1. Declaration.
           - Visa declaration must be downloaded and signed. Illegible youth declaration forms can be signed by their parents/ guardians.                                               

1. Photograph *taken within the last six months. If the photograph does not reflect your current appearance you may be refused to enter the Kingdom of Thailand.
          - If the photograph is inappropriate, and does not reflect your current appearance your visa may be rejected to enter the Kingdom of Thailand.                                                          

1. Proof of permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted.

2. Financial evidence e.g. A copy of a pension statement (more than £200/week) if the applicant is a pensioner and a copy of a 3-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or a 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000.

3. All travel records for the past 12 months (1 year) since the last international trip.
         - International travel record over the past 12 months from the application date.

1. A document that can verify the applicant's current residency (Applicant must apply for e-Visa via a specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency.)
        - Applicants are requested to submit their local utility bills eg. electricity bills/ gas / mobile phone / rental agreements, and pension statements.                                        

- No need Health Insurance for O Retirement Visa. You can put your bank statement instead. 

On 10/19/2023 at 12:54 PM, oliverphoenix2 said:

Police check and medical form not needed for non O.  Also health insurance not needed - I applied in August for ME non O London and simply uploaded pic of piece of paper stating "not applicable". E-visa approved after 4 days. Not sure about re entry permit.

I just got a non-O visa - filled out the form but got it sent back saying "where is the medical insurance certificate" which I was NOT asked for. I HAVE Thai med ins for which I had already asked for a cpy so sent that.

Nothing happened for about a week and so I pinged the embassy (Bern) asking what was happening and surprise surprise I got the APPROVED doc back an hour later.

On 10/19/2023 at 11:54 AM, oliverphoenix2 said:

Police check and medical form not needed for non O.  Also health insurance not needed - I applied in August for ME non O London and simply uploaded pic of piece of paper stating "not applicable". E-visa approved after 4 days. Not sure about re entry permit.

Multi entry - for what purpose, based on marriage or retirement?