Annoyed by music in taxi cab? Play your own?

omnipresent

Have you ever been annoyed by the music that the driver put on in the cab that you are riding?

How has your experience been in telling them to turn off the music?

Have you ever been successful in connecting to the car's sound system via bluetooth to play your preferred music?

2 hours ago, omnipresent said:

Have you ever been annoyed by the music that the driver put on in the cab that you are riding?

Yes. Some drivers will turn the volume down or change the channel from IsaanFM to some foreign garbage because they racially profile me and think I want to listen to Britney Spears (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I ask them politely to change it back to the previous station and turn the volume up. 

Most times they don't understand why I want to listen to Thai/Isaan music, I guess they've had too many whiny foreigners who insist on playing their own music.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Just blast your own music on your phone, if he did not respond to a request to change or turn off the music. My pet peeve are the ridiculous commercials. I don't watch or listen to commercials. They don't pay me. Why should I listen or watch? 

You only pay to be transported from A to B.

Blasting the music on the phone is a good reason to kick you out of the taxi.

Some people are way too entitled. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just get in the car and keep quiet and get to my destination, why on earth would i care what music the drivers playing.. I am an adult i can just sit there and ignore it if its really that offensive. Generally even if i dislike music being played... it is never going to bother enough to go through the rigmarole of asking the driver to change it or trying to connect my blue tooth to the system lol

Very similar to driver resistance to rolling down the window, not wanting to give change without having an exact fare, or wanting driving directions after the location is agreed upon. It's basically a powertrip by the driver.

The best thing to do is have the driver stop and find another taxi. You can fight them on it, but it makes the trip uncomfortable, and can cause further problems depending on how stubborn the driver is.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in Air Asia Ride there are options like "quiet driver", "new car", "English speaker".

I had the idea that there should be entertainment options like "Play own music via bluetooth", which could improve the experience for us, especially for long rides e.g. during traffic (recently I was in a cab for 4h due to traffic which would've taken 0.5h without). I know we could just use our earphones but feeling the bass from the car's system is more enjoyable.

Maybe taxi cabs could even offer video screens on which we could watch YouTube videos etc. I know we could watch things on our own smartphones but it can cause motion sickness whilst in a moving vehicle.

air-asia-ride-options.thumb.jpg.84a2be71657ea3a280f93a6cdf1dd73c.jpg