High Season invasion starting?

Patong2

5 busloads of mainly chinese tourists disgorging onto the pavement outside the Best Western at 6.45am this morning. 

The pontoons are now set up in the bay so it appears the cruise ships will restart in the next few days.

At least Jung Ceylon is nearly completely open so that will soak up some of their time.

The local businesses certainly need more custom and I hope they get it.

The large number of bored looking girls outside massage parlours, empty bars and restaurants all need a boost.

The great thing about Patong is we can hop in the car and be away from the tourists in 5 minutes.

If you haven't been on the newish concrete road on the left, at the top of Patong Hill going towards Kathu, you need to go up there.

Great scenic shots looking down on our little town and the bay, world class. Then carry on over the top of the hill and keep right and you will end up back on the main road or turn left at the sharp corner at the bottom of the hill, drive through the elephant camp, turn right and come out at the back of Kathu.

Very pleasant drive, albeit a bit steep in parts.

Edited by Patong2
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Im honestly seeing zero of any high season being near, which is very unusual, for this time of the year. Seems tourism is draining more and more, like i predicted before.

Only difference seems to be the south aka islands or beach towns, but those always did fine and are also not near as close as what it once was.

The south simply enjoys having a lot of new russian/israeli/ukranian long stayers since the last year of covid. Wont be forever too.

There are quite a few hotels and resorts that still not even reopened since covid ended, purely due to the cost.

Also even those visiting, barely spend in restaurants and bars.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Nai Harn and Kata beaches haven't been super busy of late.  Chalong circle is beginning to get busy from the Kata side. The throng hasn't hit the south part of the island yet, but we know it's coming and for residents it will be awful.

10 hours ago, zzzzz said:

noticed that kamala arrivals have doubled in the past 5 days
also Surin, one end to the other full of chairs, umbrellas and restaurant's

But were there any customers using them?

Last night, at 10:30pm, I went to (maybe?) the premier bar in central Kamala - I was the only customer for close to an hour. I left at 1:00am and there were two customers left. Okay, their regular music offering is very poor on that night and the weather wasn't playing ball, but it was a Saturday night after all!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

All the roads are much busier now. Many more minibuses and see a lot more large buses.

I sometime think that I exist in an alternative dimension to many other people.

At 2pm in glorious sunshine I rode from Kamala to the north end of Layan beach and the roads were practically deserted - even the bottleneck approaching Cherng Talay police station and then around the corner to Boat Avenue was a clear run for the cars. It was quite eery - took me back to my Sandbox days!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, London Lowf said:

But were there any customers using them?

Last night, at 10:30pm, I went to (maybe?) the premier bar in central Kamala - I was the only customer for close to an hour. I left at 1:00am and there were two customers left. Okay, their regular music offering is very poor on that night and the weather wasn't playing ball, but it was a Saturday night after all!

Yes, had lunch at surin friday<  lots of familes on the beach
as far as traffic, same day Surin beach to the chern taly police station was backed up
cant comment on night time anywhere as avoid bars like the plague

friend went to central saturday noonish, said packed with chinese as a cruise ship was in

Edited by zzzzz

Cruise ship arrivals for those who are interested.

Great being on the beach and watching them arrive around the southern headland and coming in to berth.

Not so pleasant with all the passengers on shore but heck, we have Patong everyday and these poor passengers only get it for one day.

• Thanks 1