Initial 1,000km inspection for Toyota - when to go?

Sandboxer

Probably a stupid question, but.... 

New Hilux with 920km on it. Do I take it to my nearest dealer (bought in another province but it doesn't matter) for the initial/mandatory/scheduled 1,000 km check now before it hits 1k, or when it's just over 1k? 

Just trying to avoid getting TiT-ed for some breaking some asinine rule and losing warranty.

Edited by Sandboxer

Yes as above poster noted. Going to an authorised Toyota dealer garage is mandatory for this first check, and it's always a good idea to keep servicing at the dealer garage throughout the truck's lifetime.

Also any dealer garage in any province is fine. Your records are computerised.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

The 1000km is a non-mandatory courtesy check. Takes about 15 mins to do a visual check plus a free wash if you want one. Oil/filter are not changed. It is not required for warranty.

I think my last new Toyota (2016) they changed the oil.

If they've stopped doing it, I would pay the extra to have it changed.

10 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The 1000km is a non-mandatory courtesy check. Takes about 15 mins to do a visual check plus a free wash if you want one. Oil/filter are not changed. It is not required for warranty.

My Toyota 1000km check was mandatory to keep the warranty in force and they did change the oil as well, the labour charge was free but had  pay for the oil, this was 18 months ago

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I understand it, the thinking historically has been that after 1,000km the coatings on the rings and bearing have mostly warn away any contaminants have been cooked out. 

I think with the tighter tolerances in today's engines it's less of an issue, it comes down to what Toyota sees as being in their best interest in the cost benefit analysis. 

I think some companies still suggest only changing your filter every-other oil-change. I think my first Isuzu recommended this.