Air Conditioner Service Needed

Banana7

Just a small tip that may save u hassle or at least help diagnose exactly what's going on.. Inspect your filters on indoor unit. Easy to do. And inspect the coil on outdoor unit. If either is very grimy it will affect cooling. Does outdoor unit make more noise than usual? Can you hear or see the indoor unit fan spinning normally. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Just a small tip that may save u hassle or at least help diagnose exactly what's going on.. Inspect your filters on indoor unit. Easy to do. And inspect the coil on outdoor unit. If either is very grimy it will affect cooling. Does outdoor unit make more noise than usual? Can you hear or see the indoor unit fan spinning normally. 

There is a light on the indoor unit which indicates when the indoor filters need to be inspected, and they are cleaned when dirty. The outdoor unit fins/coil is washed with a garden hose about twice a year. The outdoor unit does sound odd when starting up, different than another unit which is exactly the same model but doesn't get used often. Both indoor and outdoor fans are spinning

44 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

The outdoor unit does sound odd when starting up

I guess suspicion is that compressor is not pumping to pressure or low on gas. The tech will attach gauges and confirm pressure and probably have an ear for knowing what the sound suggests. If just on startup could even be something to do with a startup capacitor affecting compressor.

• Thanks 2

On 10/30/2023 at 10:19 AM, TimeMachine said:

I guess suspicion is that compressor is not pumping to pressure or low on gas. The tech will attach gauges and confirm pressure and probably have an ear for knowing what the sound suggests. If just on startup could even be something to do with a startup capacitor affecting compressor.

It was low on gas, R410A. Added about 1.1 kg gas but charged 1500b. The gas on Lazada is 1690b for 11.3 kg., including the tank, smaller size 2.8kg for 645b. The gas he put in was worth about 250b and I guess 1250b was labour. Sounds like there is a leak somewhere. Maybe I should just buy a gauge/manifold, tank, and a couple of hoses.

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

It was low on gas, R410A. Added about 1.1 kg gas but charged 1500b. The gas on Lazada is 1690b for 11.3 kg., including the tank, smaller size 2.8kg for 645b. The gas he put in was worth about 250b and I guess 1250b was labour. Sounds like there is a leak somewhere. Maybe I should just buy a gauge/manifold, tank, and a couple of hoses.

And add some die to see where leak is. Can also Spray some soapy water on connections or buy a gas leak detector. The yellow stick type ones from Ali or lazada do work. Best to find leak, and tighten connections but if it's real slow then adding is an option each time. Leak could be at a hard to see or get to spot.

Keep cool champ!

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Ripped off maybe? Usually the charge is 200 baht for gas, one AC company I use issues bills now, I reckon to stop the boys adding on unnecessary baht for themselves

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ripped off maybe? Usually the charge is 200 baht for gas, one AC company I use issues bills now, I reckon to stop the boys adding on unnecessary baht for themselves

Could well be a ripe-off, no receipt. I had 2 ACs done. The other one was 300 baht for adding R22. I am going to buy a gauge, 2 hoses and some gas, for the next time things warmup. It wasn't a complicated process to add gas. The guy tried to convince my GF the best course was to buy a new AC (30K+), rather than find the leak in the other AC. After doing some research, to find leaks, use a gas detector as TimeMachine recommended, or look for oil leaks, or add some leak detection fluid into the system that glows in UV light. May take 3-5K baht to repair the leaks by a pro, by evacuating the system, test it, and refill it. Maybe a flaring joint came loose that I can tighten, or maybe it's more complicated. Anyways, I bought a leak detector, waiting for its arrival. One step at a time.

I have been using my non inverter sharp brand and it's working fine but think I'll swap over to inverter anyway. My estimate is this...30% more efficient. Estimate my AC uses about 800baht a month. 30pc of 800 =240 savings a month.

New inverter AC 8000 baht.

8000/240 = 33 months to get my money back .I e after 3 years I'll be better off. New unit. New warranty. Quieter. I should do it .

10 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

New inverter AC 8000 baht.

Did you check that price. Me and a pal were discussing ACs only recently and felt it was hard to find low priced ones like that, known brand, and expect to be over 15k.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Did you check that price. Me and a pal were discussing ACs only recently and felt it was hard to find low priced ones like that, known brand, and expect to be over 15k.

I saw a TLC for 7990 in TescoLotus Pattaya. Big C had hisense for 8990 12kbtu. Be patient. Prices vary.