Name change for Thai

My gf first AND last names are mile long!

I'd like she to get shorter names. She agrees and has already changed her names once because "monk said old name was bad luck".

Yes, some $$$$ was paid for valuable advice...

We plan to move to Spain in the future. I wonder if recent name change will harm our plans. Any experience in the EU?

42 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

We plan to move to Spain in the future. I wonder if recent name change will harm our plans. Any experience in the EU?

Well of course she must change her govt ID as well as passport if she has one

Secondly I do not know about the EU but when my wife originally came to the USA & after went for citizenship

I would say it was an added hassle for sure as my wife had twice done what your gf is contemplating

Reason being is FBI wants all previous names listed & proof/time etc of change & reason for background checks

I imagine the EU probably has a similar check

To be honest if it were my decision I would advise Thai's against it especially for silly reasons such as "luck"

Edited by mania

so if your name doesn't match something earlier like birth certificate, you'd have to provide the name change certificate too, and in case of other countries, certified translation x2, if you can live with that rather than the long name it's up to you.

Thanks! Yes, I know the US hassle. I went through it. Ended doing it in the US embassy in EU, was easy and cheap -:)

Long name problem is everywhere; like net banks have "windows" to fill up but not enough of them! Can't send or receive money...

Her last name has 15 (!) letters... First name "only" 10.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 7:25 AM, digbeth said:

so if your name doesn't match something earlier like birth certificate, you'd have to provide the name change certificate too, and in case of other countries, certified translation x2, if you can live with that rather than the long name it's up to you.

What recently surprised me was that my wife's only name change from almost years ago was actually printed on her UK citizenship certificate. When she divorced she changed her surname back to her family (maiden) name and changed her first name at the same time.

On recent trip to Vietnam her long names showed last name in full but only 2 letters of her first name on the ticket. Going was Ok but coming back Vn Immi and agents paid lot of attention for non matching name to passport but let her return.

Exactly as I assumed would happen sooner or later.... 2 yrs ago in Dalat VietJet agent misspelled my last name by 1 letter on my ticket. Couldn't fly, had to go to agent and get it changed.

Next trip planned in 2 weeks. Let's see what happens.

Today I got a new idea, How about getting her to take my name without getting married?

Anyone done that?

I know some Thais change name often. My gf has changed too thanks to monk's recommendation to get his  blessing to be more successful (and monk got cash).

My wife discovered there is a limit to how many times you can change your name. When she first married a Thai man, he didn't like her first name, and changed it to something he liked.

Then they divorced (he; adultery). She went to a monk and picked out a name to change her luck and reverted to this and her maiden name for her ID. She then traveled to Korea on her passport, with her married name, and didn't get far.

She went to update her passport (in reality, getting a new passport, you cannot update a biometric passport). Then she had problems. Changing her married first name and surname to the name on her ID card was a name change that wasn't allowed. So she reverted to her previous first married name and maiden name on her ID card. Then we married, and she updated her ID card. Then was able to get a passport that matched. She doesn't have a birth certificate, so I am not sure what will happen if it came to that. I told her not to throw away her old passport. We might need that.

I still call her by her Monk's name though.

On 11/1/2023 at 1:20 PM, GypsyT said:

My gf first AND last names are mile long!

I'd like she to get shorter names. She agrees and has already changed her names once because "monk said old name was bad luck".

Yes, some $$$$ was paid for valuable advice...

We plan to move to Spain in the future. I wonder if recent name change will harm our plans.

It shouldn’t harm your plans given that it will be sorted out during the visa process