Oil palm fruit theft surges in Southern Thailand as prices hit 6 baht per kilo

snoop1130

Oil-Palm-Theft.jpg

Farmers across Trang province, in southern Thailand, are facing serious problems due to the widespread theft of oil palm fruits. This situation has arisen following an increase in the price of these fruits, making them a lucrative target for thieves. This has led to the farmers calling upon the district chief and police to urgently tackle the problem, urging them not to release the arrested suspects without proper investigation.

The average price of oil palm fruits has risen to 5 to 6 baht per kilogramme, sometimes even exceeding 6 baht per kilogramme. This has led to an upsurge in thefts, especially in Trang province.

Thieves seize the opportunity when the farmers are not on-site, stealing the fruits that are almost ready for harvest, typically three to four days before the harvest date. Oil palm fruits are usually harvested every 15 days, but the thieves harvest them prematurely, causing serious distress to the farmers.

Approximately 20 oil palm farmers, both small and large, from the Huai Yot district of Trang province came together to meet with District Chief Suwat Sanwong. They sought his urgent intervention to address the widespread theft of oil palm fruits in the province.

The farmers provided the District Chief with information about the suspected thieves, as most of them knew who was involved, said Tasanee Wongpongphat, owner of an oil palm plantation in the Pak Cham area of Huai Yot district.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

A few well trained  XXL size dogs on site,  should do the trick ?

I bet some plantations are really large.  How many kg is an average fruit?  Wiki says 10 kg , so 50 baht each grab 6-7 and easy day at work.  I feel for the farmers.  My first thought was using a  nightscope like they use on hogs in Texas. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I bet some plantations are really large.  How many kg is an average fruit?  Wiki says 10 kg , so 50 baht each grab 6-7 and easy day at work.  I feel for the farmers.  My first thought was using a  nightscope like they use on hogs in Texas. 

Fully agree with You. One could  even give a closer look at affordable CCTV systems that detect any movement. Modern tech is accessible to all and perhaps the authorities should subsidise security for the farmers...and also provide more environmental alternatives to dissuade crop burning festivities !!!

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Palm harvesting is not something you can really do stealthily.  Imagine 30 kg palm bunches falling to the ground from 15 metres up repeatedly.

Plus you then have to haul them away in trucks, due to the weight and size of the bunches - and all for a few hundred baht each. I certainly believe that this theft is happening, but it's hard for me to see how it's worth the effort unless it's being done on a nearly industrial scale.

Up here in Isaan, my wife has 300 plants, she is registered with the local buyers, You have to be registered to sell your product. If you are not registered you are turned away. As the post says people know who the perps are and I don't think this ill be a major hit.