Buy Thai Music Online – Where? (Audio CD, MP3, not streaming)

henrik2000

Hello,

Where can I mail-order Thai music CDs, MP3 downloads or MP3 USB drives (preferred) at reasonable prices from the west, to be sent to a Thai adress? If need be, I would only order when already in Thailand.  

Background:

As a tourist coming to Thailand next week, i want to buy a bunch of Audio CDs or MP3 CDs/USB drives with Thai Music released after 2015 (Tai Orathai, Pee Saderd, Carabao etc., MP3 much preferred over Audio CD). I would love to order online right now from Europe and have the discs sent to my hotel in Thailand (delivery while I'm already checked-in, this can be timed). I carry laptop w/ CD drive + USB sticks around.

I am fully aware

• I can get the music streamed on Youtube, Spotify etc. etc.
  • there are very cheap pirate copies available in fish markets and IT malls

Still I'd love to order Audio CDs or MP3 CDs/USB drives (preferred) from a reputable online dealer. MP3 download is fine too, if i get regular unlocked MP3s.

Shops I tried online:

Shopee, Lazada, Boomerangshop.com, YesAsia have very little. Also Grammy record company didn't appeal.

Then there's eTHaiCD with more offerings. But when I browse them now from Europe, each CD costs 10 USD – 16 USD incl. worldwide shipping. Whereas in Thailand, such a Thai music CD (from memory) costs 200 THB or less in the shop.

Here are 2 offers for simple Thai music on eThaiCD:

Is there a chance to order such discs at reasonable, local THAI prices with delivery to a Thai hotel, while still browsing from Europe? Or could I at least get THAI prices when browsing within Thailand? (Don't want VPN.)

Brick-and-mortar-shops:

I will not overnight in Bangkok. I lodge in Jomtien/Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Uttaradit and 7 other province towns in Central Thailand. Is there any useful shop on the ground?

2015 I was in Pattaya Central Festival, and the record shop downstairs there had exactly nothing for me. One problem is also that my Thai music taste is outdated (luukthung, morlam, songs-for-life – no Labanoon or 90s bubblegum) and the sales teens find me dubious (I speak Thai, but don't read, i'm polite + clean).

If you say there is a very promising brick and mortar shop in Bangkok, I might try to visit it somehow. Again, streaming is no option. Also in Europe I don't want to try a VPN (if that should help).

Pirate copies from fish market and IT malls:

I've tried those before. But their quality, moral and content is dubious. Also whatever the vendor says, actually he has no idea what's on it and the song-list may be wrong (and it's in Thai script, which I only understand with Google Lens). Also I want only music published after 2016, and the pirate copies are not clear/reliable about the date (neither the vendor). They might give me 80 songs per disc that I already have (and have catalogued).

Thanks!

Edited by henrik2000

I appreciate what you are saying, you would like to buy some CD's. This way you contribute to the artist ( they probably only get a pittance from a CD sale these days )

Just trying to read - Do you have a problem if the mp3 are snagged from a streaming platform? or is that you don't object to piracy, but want good quality MP3 (like 320CBR) or FLAC - You can download CD quality files without DRM protection from Deezer, Tidal, etc. using a third party app. Spotify seems to have the most Thai content, but the files aren't CD quality.

• Like 1