Online recruitment messages on Whatsapp....Scam

Kenny202

Normally I delete and block these sort of messages immediately but this once came from +1 country code, USA. Says her name is Weeraya from Thai Job recruitment.

Asked if she can send me more details. I know probably a stupid / gullible question but anyone else had a similar message? 

Should have googled it first lol. I believe at the moment SMS / Whatsapp messages are some of the worst going. Not just scams trying to get your money but worm viruses that are effective just by opening the message. Really makes me wonder where all this will end....not well I imagine. Google and Facebook seem to know my every thought. Once upon a time your banking / personal information was either safely in your wallet or safe at home but now everything floating around in cyberspace. it is very concerning.

Could contain:

18 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Normally I delete and block these sort of messages immediately but this once came from +1 country code, USA. Says her name is Weeraya from Thai Job recruitment.

Asked if she can send me more details. I know probably a stupid / gullible question but anyone else had a similar message? 

Twice this week, both from +1 numbers. I asked the 1st one how she got my number and she gave me a bs answer. I called her bs saying my number was never published anywhere and she went silent. Few days later, another +1 number, I just blocked and deleted.

Yesterday I got a phone call from a Thai guy. He started talking as if we know each other and asked if I can't recognise his voice. I kept asking who was he calling, what name as it's not me he's looking for. Eventually I just hang up the phone. same happened to my wife about a week ago. About a month ago it happened to a sister of her friend, but that one succeeded. She tried to guess who it was, and thought it was her nephew (who isn't even in Thailand at the moment). He said yes, it's the nephew and asked her to send him some money. She transferred 8k and only then called her sister to tell her about it and to find out that she was scammed....

As for getting phone calls with recorded messaged - been getting those for years now. I just hang up. I don't even bother blocking these numbers as they never use the same number twice.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Yes, I've had a couple of those messages, ignore them or just tell them to "fuk off", as I did, and them block the number.  Quite satisfying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I've had a couple of those messages, ignore them or just tell them to "fuk off", as I did, and them block the number.  Quite satisfying.

Be careful telling people to 'jeff-off' on the phone when they have your number... they could end up harassing the heck out of you (thats happening to my Brother in Law right now).

Or...it could be a legitimate call...  I received a call today about a hospital appointment, the phone manner of the other person was a little 'strange' and I immediately thought scam and nearly hung-up... turns out it was just the hospital conforming my appointment. 

I also recently received a call from the 'Ministry of Interior'... (via whatsapp business) from the Middle East country I work in a lot. 

It was obviously a scam, but again, I'm not going to be telling anyone to 'jeff off' when they have my details.... just in case !!!.. 

Slightly off topic - I received a good scam e-mail today.

The sender was 'me' !!!.... my own e-mail address, emailed to myself. 

The subject was similar to other scams.. they'd seen me knocking one out and threatened to send the images from my Webcam to all my contacts and want payment in BitCoin. After contacting me they're removed all traces of malware etc etc... 

Quite an entertaining scam - I'm curious how they spoofed the e-mail to appear to have originated from my e-mail address.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Be careful telling people to 'jeff-off' on the phone when they have your number... they could end up harassing the heck out of you (thats happening to my Brother in Law right now).

It was a WhatsApp message, not a call and, after sending my response, I blocked the number. They can call all they want but I don't answer any unknown international (China, in this case) numbers so they can't harass me and, so far, they haven't tried.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or...it could be a legitimate call... 

Not with a China country code for me.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

The photos they use are always of extremely attractive women. I waste their time asking if they're single, if they want to date a good looking western guy, how big their tits are, would they like a 3-way with me and the gf, which hole is their favourite etc, etc, etc. They often get very irate that I'm not answering their questions. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 6:22 PM, Kenny202 said:

anyone else had a similar message? 

Yes - yesterday. The message was on a WhatsApp number that only 3 people know so I knew that it was a scam.

I blocked it straight away so I cannot find the number now but it wasn't the USA.

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yes - yesterday. The message was on a WhatsApp number that only 3 people know so I knew that it was a scam.

I blocked it straight away so I cannot find the number now but it wasn't the USA.

Ive had 2 in  November.

image.png.447b1b7925b6b32183483e1f34a4deb2.png

• 1 month later...

Decided to play along just to see what type of scam those job recruitments are

I'm sorry, but if anyone could earn 100k+ a month just by clicking 1 button twice every day, you would not need to recruit people for the job, people would flock to you instead

I assume whatever website or app they ask you to use for "optimization" will steal all personal data from your device.

But in case if anyone has further insight on what else scammers gain from this, please do share

image.png.6851470f2b63dcc9e7f2ef397c9395fa.png