Dengue fever infections increase by about 300% this year

webfact

image.png

The number of dengue fever patients in Thailand recorded between January 1st and November 1st was more than 123,000, which is an increase of nearly 300% compared to last year.

Dr. Thongchai Keeratihattayakorn, acting director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said that, of the 123,000 people infected, 139 have died and most were in the 25-34 age group.

He said officials had conducted field surveys of the potential breeding grounds of striped mosquitos, such as temples, mosques, churches, hotels, resorts, schools, factories, hospitals and government offices and discovered that 60.9%of temples are significant hatching grounds for striped mosquito pupae, followed by 55.6% of factories and 46% of schools.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Global warming, destruction of nature, bad allocation of capital, greed...

It's only gonna get worse.

Retirees are in for a big surprise in the upcoming years !

What a weird post.  I didn't think the weed here was that good. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Are the mosquitoes drawn to the blood of the large number of dogs surrounding every wat?

That's a great question.  

There was a bit in the Brave search, but it sounded inconclusive, except for this bit:  

House dogs and street dogs are the common Animal Reservoir Hosts to these viruses"

The Reservoir Dogs are back ! 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Serious stuff that dengue, I had it recently for the second time, prevention is better than the cure, 

About 4 years ago I got really ill. I got a very high fever, I was f*cked....the strange thing was that I also had bleeding gums. I have NEVER experienced anything like this illness before. It knocked me out for a while. I went to the hospital later and the doctor said it could have been dengue but it was now too late to test.....bleeding gums, high fever...? Probably dengue?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

About 4 years ago I got really ill. I got a very high fever, I was f*cked....the strange thing was that I also had bleeding gums. I have NEVER experienced anything like this illness before. It knocked me out for a while. I went to the hospital later and the doctor said it could have been dengue but it was now too late to test.....bleeding gums, high fever...? Probably dengue?

I never had bleeding gums, but there is 4 or 5 different types of dengue, 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 3:05 PM, 248900_1469958220 said:

Sounds like scurvy!  Did you arrive by sea? 

• Haha 1