“Control your emotions”, Vice Governor warns Phuket’s disgruntled taxi drivers

snoop1130

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Phuket’s vice governor has told the island’s taxi drivers that they need to control their emotions when dealing with drivers from ride-hailing apps. Amnuay Pinsuwan was speaking during a meeting held at Phuket Provincial Hall on Wednesday, November 22

:clap2:

On 11/24/2023 at 12:01 PM, snoop1130 said:

Ride-hailing, or ride-sharing apps like Grab and Bolt have become hugely popular in Thailand as expats and tourists find ways around the extortionate pricing of the island’s taxi gangs.

In Pak Chong we have what is known locally as the Taxi Mafia.  We also have a huge problem with public transport - there is very little.

Many tourists stay in Pak Chong with the intention of visiting Khao Yai national park - then they find there is no way for them to get there.

You would think the lack of transport would provide an ideal opportunity for someone to start a taxi business and it should.  However, many have tried but they have been 'closed down' by the local Taxi Mafia.

Unlike Phuket where the mafia bring about 'extortionate pricing', ours stop the business altogther.  Its really hard to understand what they are trying to protect - apart from a couple of cars that come and go, motorbikes that often aren't there, they have no business to protect. 

I knew a tuk tuk owner that use to operate locally - then a while back his prices started to rise and rise until they got to a crazy level.  When I asked him what was going on, how could he justify his prices he simply said 'I have a boss now'. I think I know who his 'boss' was.

So we still have no taxi service, no buses to take tourists to Khao Yai and there is nothing for any 'mafia' to protect, nobody dares to start up - Amazing Thailand.