Is My Timing Off?

JamieP

I'm going to be doing a CELTA in October, that was the earliest I could do a course now that I've decided to do it.

So that means if I wait until I complete and hopefully pass the course it will be late October before I can look for work.

(This is after most academic years have started, I think???)

So will I still get something then or is it possible or realistic to start applying now and get job offers pending the CELTA qualification?

Right now, I have a Batchelors degree in Electronic Engineering and I'm a native speaker.

Even though school will have already started you shouldn't have any problem finding a job. There are always schools who need teachers, and there will certainly be schools who will be scrambling to find a native speaker around that time.

I don't think it is really worth trying to find a job pending your successful completion of the course. Schools generally take the first qualified person who applies so even if they did offer you something, if someone else came along before you finished they would certainly give him/her "your" job. Do to this fact they would more than likely tell you to come back when you finish your CELTA. About the closest thing you might get is an assurance from where you are studying your CELTA that they may be able to help you find work once you finish.

Right now, I have a Batchelors degree in Electronic Engineering and I'm a native speaker.

Please don't take this personally--I have a Masters degree in Astronautical Engineering and supervised many engineers before I got tired of being a small cog in a giant Aerospace machine and retired to Thailand. One of the challenges I faced in managing engineers was getting them to put some effort in writing; they were very intelligent people but grammar and spelling were not priorities for them. Keeping this in mind, I would like to helpfully suggest that you spell it "Bachelor's degree", not "Bathcelors degree", especially when preparing a CV/Resume and in job applications.

This is something of a pet peeve of mine, engineers should be able to communicate clearly and correctly. Of course literary and artistic types should be able to do basic math and think analytically, but that seems to be asking too much of many of them. Let's face it, some of them aren't very intelligent.

As it now stands (at least where I am working), you don't need a CELTA; you can get a work permit based on your Bachelor's Degree. The additional qualifiction of a CELTA is good. Since October is the normal break for most schools, you might want to find work, take your CELTA on the holiday (you may miss a little work), and I am sure everyone will be happy.

It's not too hard to find work at any time in the teaching field. There are always teachers coming and going.

Late October is the second-highest hiring season in Thai schools because that's roughly when the second semester begins. You might also consider technical schools, vocational schools, even lower ranked universities and rajabats. You could teach science or math, probably.

I would like to helpfully suggest that you spell it "Bachelor's degree", not "Bathcelors degree", especially when preparing a CV/Resume and in job applications.

Point taken, It was a mistake most likely borne of the fact that I rarely use the word "bachelor's" in this context and normally only refer to my "degree" or "BSc."

This again is a reason why I know I need to take the CELTA because my grammar is "rusty" to say the least.

Thanks to all who have replied so far for their input.

Edited by JamieP

Please don't take this personally--I have a Masters degree in Astronautical Engineering and supervised many engineers before I got tired of being a small cog in a giant Aerospace machine and retired to Thailand. One of the challenges I faced in managing engineers was getting them to put some effort in writing; they were very intelligent people but grammar and spelling were not priorities for them. Keeping this in mind, I would like to helpfully suggest that you spell it "Bachelor's degree", not "Bathcelors degree", especially when preparing a CV/Resume and in job applications.

This is something of a pet peeve of mine, engineers should be able to communicate clearly and correctly. Of course literary and artistic types should be able to do basic math and think analytically, but that seems to be asking too much of many of them. Let's face it, some of them aren't very intelligent.

I couldn't resist googeling the word "Batchelors degree" and see what came up...........

There is actually a Diploma Mill who spells Bachelor's degree as Batchelor degree! LOL I wonder how many fools have bought one?

http://www.accredited-non-fake-online-degr...lors-Degree.htm

And for the critic who thinks he is perfect, the OP actually used the spelling "Batchelors" not "Bathcelors" which is what you stated the OP used, which is far off. So if you are going to assert your authority over other people, make sure you don't twist things around, especially spelling, if that is what you are going to criticize :o

There is a teacher shortage and it is likely that if you look you will find something almost all year round (this year). October is the midyear break for most schools following the Thai school schedule and if you are job hunting at the same time as doing your certificate, you will get some offers. Some of these offers may even be to teach maths or sciences; that would be a more challenging but better-paid way to start.

Since your question is pretty specific and everyone else is focussing on spelling, I think we can close this thread now.

"Steven"