China offers visa-free entry for citizens of France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Malaysia

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

Game On, Thailand

do you have a link... need to visit some family members, have been postponing due to not wanting the hassle of applying for a visa, am a citizen of one of the countries listed

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I cannot understand why westerners would want to go on a holiday in China.  An over crowded communist country with little English speaking that seems to hate westerners.   Got to be many other places more attractive then there.

Perhaps that was only your experience when you went.

Edited by samtam
  • Agree 1

Aren't Americans, Canadians, the British, and Russians eligible for 10-year visas? Way more than the paltry 15 days offered to Europeans in the OP.

Anyway, who wants to risk randomly being accused of espionage, before being locked up...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I cannot understand why westerners would want to go on a holiday in China.  An over crowded communist country with little English speaking that seems to hate westerners.   Got to be many other places more attractive then there.

It was really nice when I went a few years back, hiking in Avatar national park, most days I didn't see another person, my guesthouse only had me staying.

• Agree 2

On 11/25/2023 at 5:47 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Aren't Americans, Canadians, the British, and Russians eligible for 10-year visas? Way more than the paltry 15 days offered to Europeans in the OP.

Anyway, who wants to risk randomly being accused of espionage, before being locked up...

Sort of.  Americans can get a 10 year visa for China from Chinese consulates in the US, but they may not from Chinese consulate outside of the US (e.g., Phuket).

On 11/25/2023 at 5:47 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

You're confusing visa validity (the period during which you can use your visa to enter the country) with length of stay (how long you can remain in the country once you enter) - the two are completely different.

Yes, some nationalities can get a ten year visa, but they must fill out a lengthy application form, pay a fairly substantial fee, and probably make a personal appearance at a consulate or application center. The nationalities covered under the new program can just get on a plane with no formalities and be granted a 15 day stay in China.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:30 AM, BritManToo said:

It was really nice when I went a few years back, hiking in Avatar national park, most days I didn't see another person, my guesthouse only had me staying.

At the height of the pandemic in China. Nice 😊 

• Haha 2

Yep, stunning country but utterly abhor the bent & backward ruling dinosaur politburo element and also the general xenophobic hue of the populace which is enough to make a mother eat her young! The closest I come is transiting through Beijing, and even then I find myself gritting my teeth. They can keep the visa free, I would sooner chuck my money Thai-side.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

At one time I had a desire to see China. No longer on the list. Hate the CCP, and I am just tired of their lack of grace, and the constant flexing of their newfound muscle. No thanks.

Would point out China is more welcoming to foreign tourists than Thailand (or the USA).

When I went the Chinese authorities had absolutly no interest in me, where I was going or what I was doing.

In fact as a Brit my last visit to the USA was considerably harder than my visit to China

China immigration just waved me through, USA immigration asked me all sorts of questions.

No lack of grace by Chinese authorities, only communication problems (no English anywhere I went)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1