VPN which one have you chosen?

stupidfarang

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

This is what the OP asked

Hi, looking for a VPN to connect with the UK, need reliable, fast, VPN.

And out come the cheap skates with their recommendations of free vpn's, as if a free app would ever be able to fulfil the OP's requirements.

What every one of them fails to realize is, if you get something for free that means you are the product, and that is especially so with services that can see what you're connecting to, e.g. VPN's

Mines a free one....Urban VPN proxy with Firefox...never had a problem with it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Use a combination of VyprVPN and ExpressVPN, so covered if any issues.

Originally used as App on PC, ChromeBook or Android mobile. Recently moved to hardware type solution where VPN is loaded on my router, am experiencing 5 to 10 times performance, wish I had done this sooner, especially for the Rugby World Cup. Take a look at GL-iNet.

• Thanks 1

I just read about a few of the VPNs that have been mentioned. People aren't using these VPN for banking, are they? Two of the VPN state that they have the right to collect all data from the browser. That would include passwords. They are free for a reason.

If yoy are just streaming, there might no be too much issue. But if you store passwords in your browser, the VPN has access to that too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Hi, looking for a VPN to connect with the UK, need reliable, fast, VPN. Can you share your thoughts on VPN's you have used? Just need the basic as have paid security programme, am Looking at Surfshark, any comments about them?

If that is you only criterion, then just about any VPN on the market will do.  If you're using it for streaming, then choose one that is "streaming optimized." 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BenStark said:

And out come the cheap skates with their recommendations of free vpn's, as if a free app would ever be able to fulfil the OP's requirements.

What every one of them fails to realize is, if you get something for free that means you are the product, and that is especially so with services that can see what you're connecting to, e.g. VPN's

Always good to get peoples thoughts and experince so that one can make a balance decision. I do agree that many "Free" products have their limitations but may work for some people as we all have differant requirements.

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This one: https://www.streamvpn.com I've been using them since 2006, firstly in China, then Egypt and now here. Very reliable and a great support desk on the very rare occasions that things do go awry 

Do you link it back to a UK address? I ask as if you do then you will have experince for the UK which is what I need. Thank you for the input, appreciated

21 hours ago, BenStark said:

Op didn't specify a use.

I use the veepn add on to access UK government websites that block foreign use.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, LS24 said:

I just read about a few of the VPNs that have been mentioned. People aren't using these VPN for banking, are they? Two of the VPN state that they have the right to collect all data from the browser. That would include passwords. They are free for a reason.

If yoy are just streaming, there might no be too much issue. But if you store passwords in your browser, the VPN has access to that too.

Excellent point, do not want anyone collecting data let alone passwords. Thanks for bring this to everyones attention as how many of us read the fine print?

9 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Excellent point, do not want anyone collecting data let alone passwords. Thanks for bring this to everyones attention as how many of us read the fine print?

Collecting data = where you are, what you look at. Nothing to do with recording the content.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Do you link it back to a UK address? I ask as if you do then you will have experince for the UK which is what I need. Thank you for the input, appreciated

Yes I do. I use it mainly for accessing the BBC iPlayer and it is very reliable in that roll.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Collecting data = where you are, what you look at. Nothing to do with recording the content.

Have you read the terms? But, I'm not going to make a song and dance out of it. I've made people away. That is the extent of my duty of care.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, Poilu said:

The introductory offer lasting 2 years cost very little and came bundled with an excellent password manager and cloud storage. 

Any recommendations once you get to the end of the initial Nord VPN (2 years + 4 months in my case), and are offered an auto-renewal at a much higher price (~ $100/year)?

Cancel, or try to, and see if they cough up an offer? Or just try to re-sign with them? (They may not allow that, unless you change details?

Switch to Express, Surfshark, Proton, other?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Any recommendations once you get to the end of the initial Nord VPN (2 years + 4 months in my case), and are offered an auto-renewal at a much higher price (~ $100/year)?

Cancel, or try to, and see if they cough up an offer? Or just try to re-sign with them? (They may not allow that, unless you change details?

Once I sign up for a VPN I always disable auto renew.

I was with NordVPN which I was quite happy with but I changed to Surfshark when my subscription was expiring because SS was cheaper for similar functionality. SS is owned by NordVPN anyway. An alternative is you could use a different email account to sign up for NordVPN again to take advantage of a new customer "special" deal. Or you could contact them via your existing account and ask them for discount to keep your business.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I still have over 1 year left on my own 2 year 4 month initial subscription. I have turned off auto renewal and will see what I am offered. Surfshark is now owned by Nord so should work well. Express I feel is rather overpriced. I have a free version of Proton but it is often detected and is slow. If I am not satisfied with the Nord renewal offer my wife will take advantage of the first time subscriber offer with them. I do like Nord though as it is very efficient.

• Thumbs Up 1