Re-Entry Permit during "Visa Under Consideration" Period

I have a MULTIPLE Re-Entry Permit valid until 15 December 2023 (same expiry date as my Non-O Marriage Visa). I have just applied for an extension of my visa and has received the "Under Consideration" stamp valid until 28 December 2023.

However I need to travel overseas on 22 December 2023; can I still use my Re-Entry Permit or do I need to apply for a new one?

Any advice appreciated.

You cannot use your re-entry permit expiring on 15 December to enter Thailand after 15 December.

You mention that you need to travel overseas on 22 December. Please note that no re-entry permit is needed to leave Thailand.

You mention that you recently applied for a new extension of stay and got a stamp in your passport saying that your application is under consideration and that you must report to the immigration office again on 28 December. You should contact your immigration office to find out if they can give you a re-entry permit valid at least until your intended return date to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have done this before. You need a new re entry permit, but it will only be valid until the 28 December, immigration would not extend my under consideration date.

I came back in 2 days before my under consideration date and the IO laughed about stamping be in for 2 days only. Make sure IO does not try to be helpful and give you 30 visa exempt.

I also told immigration about my plans, so they could do home visit, etc. before I left.

So it is possible to do, but not recommended, as it only leaves a short time frame if any problems occur.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

You can apply for a re-entry permit during the under consideration period, but it will only be valid for that period

So the OP will have to return before 28 December even though fairly likely on 28tn December he'll be told that the decision has not yet been made/ received back. He could try asking his IO to extend the under consideration period until a date shortly after his return and if successful apply for a fresh re entry permit to that date...or to asking if there is any way to expedite the result of his application to a date shortly before the 22 December and get his fresh re entry permit then or at the airport. 

This appears from what the OP says to be a first  application and for an extension based on marriage so if he has the available funds to send to his Thai bank could he withdraw this pending application and apply in it's place for a retirement extension, no seasoning on first application, which should be issued the same day or the next? Perhaps though too young?

• Thanks 1

It's recommended that OP proceeds as follows:

#1 - Contacting his local Imm Office, explaining the situation that he needs to fly overseas on 22nd of December and requesting whether it would be possible for his local Imm Office to do the 'home-visit' prior to his leave on 22nd December

#2 - Buy a re-entry Permit although that will only be granted till 28th of December as he is currently already 'under consideration'

#3 - Re-enter Thailand with that Re-Entry Permit prior to 28th of December (and ensure that he is stamped in again for that 28 Dec Permission to stay and NOT that the Imm Officer would grant him a 30-day Permission to stay which would invalidate the 28 Dec Permission to stay and the Non Imm O Marriage Visa on which it is based)

#4 - Once in Thailand again, go to his local Imm Office latest 28th of December to have the 1-year Permission to stay stamped in his passport.

Note that if OPs overseas business would not make it possible or very inconvenient to return by 28th of December, that he should enquire during his contact with local Imm Office (point #1) whether it would be allowed to come for the 1-year Permission to stay stamp at a later date than 28th of December, and if so how much 'grace period' he has for that.  

And if he would not be able to meet the 18th December return-date nor the maximum grace period that his local Imm Office might provide him, then it is very unfortunate for him, but he then would have to start the whole process of applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Marriage Visa and subsequent 1-year extensions from scratch again.

• Thanks 1