Sunak accused of sending wrong signals on climate crisis as he heads to Cop28

CharlieH

image.png

Rishi Sunak has been accused of sending out the wrong signals on tackling the climate emergency as he heads to the Cop28 summit in Dubai after saying his revised net zero targets show he is “not in hock to the ideological zealots”.

The prime minister will allocate about £1.6bn of climate finance during the summit and claim that the UK will exceed its target of spending £11.6bn over the five years to 2026.

But he faces accusations from charities and non-governmental organisations that the UK is on track to meet the target only by changing the way it calculates climate aid – and otherwise would fall far short of the total.

Before the summit, Sunak also chose to emphasise his “pragmatic” approach to tackling the climate crisis, having two months ago decided to water down his net zero targets on phasing out petrol cars and gas boilers.

“The transition to net zero should make us all safer and better off,” he said on Thursday. “It must benefit, not burden, ordinary families. The UK has led the way in taking pragmatic, long-term decisions at home – and at Cop28 we will lead international efforts to protect the world’s forests, turbocharge renewable energy and leverage the full weight of private finance.”

He also claimed that ambitious pledges to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees were enough and “the time for pledges is now over – this is the era for action”.

Sunak said: “I’m not in hock to ideological zealots on this topic. Of course we’re going to get to net zero, of course it’s important, but we can do that in a sensible way that saves people money and doesn’t burden them with extra costs.”

Sunak’s approach was criticised by Keir Starmer, who will also attend the summit.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

I didn't expect that when I clicked on this thread. Not in hock to the zealots- good for him, though I suspect he didn't really mean it, when he talks about "net zero" which IMO is a nonsense parroted by those that stand to mint it from the charade.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:42 PM, CharlieH said:

and at Cop28 we will lead international efforts to protect the world’s forests,

Despite doing sod all to protect the rain forests of the world, which are vanishing at an alarming rate, in the past.