Emsphere opens

DonniePeverley

I just returned from there.

It's not bad. But some things are annoying - like in many shopping centers.

Motorcycle parking: Way too little space for all the bikes and no organization. Double parked and lanes blocked, and nobody cares.

Where is a lift? They seem to hide them.

Not floor 1, 2, 3. No! G, GM, M, 1, 2, 3...  Why make it easy if you can also annoy everyone?

Elevators: For every floor it is necessary to walk around to the other side, and again, and again. Annoying.

IKEA: As expected, fewer products than Bangna.

Some good news:

Big lanes for cars and trucks that even a stretch limousine should have no problems.

Parking seems to be free in the moment.

I finally found a big room with many lifts. It seems I was the only one who used one of them. Hidden in some corner without sign.

IMG_20231204_160430.thumb.jpg.6f9ace6f274ddfcb41c31c5ef8dc2d9c.jpg

Way too many people right now.  GIve it a week or so to mellow out-unless you're into big crowds.

A few interesting eating options but nothing is cheap.  Looking at menus in some of the more

Western restaurants, everything is about 600 baht and up.  Pensioners enter at your own risk.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Not floor 1, 2, 3. No! G, GM, M, 1, 2, 3...  Why make it easy if you can also annoy everyone?

Typical Thai malls would hide lots of floor numbers with Mezzanine and such... makes an easier when selling to potential renters (shops) and charging more rent

M1 or M2 sounds just next to ground or where the Skywalks connects, whereas in actual you're already on 3rd or 4th floor

Level 2 here sounds not far away but you're already 5 floors up from ground

In most malls they'd have something like Cinema or restaurants up top to at least force some foot traffic up, here Ikea's doing that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, digbeth said:

In most malls they'd have something like Cinema or restaurants up top to at least force some foot traffic up

I am often in Terminal 21, which is very near to my home and I like it more than any other shopping mall.

They have easily accessible lifts on two sides so it is easy to just go to one shop and get out again. And anybody who likes to ride elevators and stroll through the floors also has that opportunity.

It's sad when some malls, including Emsphere, basically force people to walk in circles. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LALes said:

Way too many people right now.  GIve it a week or so to mellow out-unless you're into big crowds.

A few interesting eating options but nothing is cheap.  Looking at menus in some of the more

Western restaurants, everything is about 600 baht and up.  Pensioners enter at your own risk.

I had IKEA meatballs together with soda for something like 160 THB. Great value.

IMG_20231204_163548.thumb.jpg.5f1dff834f0e12e0c956c12958d534fa.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, digbeth said:

The wide car parking lanes are actually for both way traffic, the Thais are already complaining that even typical pickup trucks turning circle are difficult with lanes full of cars coming the other way 

Their problem might also be related to the driving skills of many people here.

I think it is always amazing how many Thais need a security guard to guard them around a corner or into a bag parking space. TiT.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am often in Terminal 21, which is very near to my home and I like it more than any other shopping mall.

They have easily accessible lifts on two sides so it is easy to just go to one shop and get out again. And anybody who likes to ride elevators and stroll through the floors also has that opportunity.

It's sad when some malls, including Emsphere, basically force people to walk in circles. 

There's a big glass elevator on the left in front of the building with view of the park, which I only discovered after making my way up to the top floor, agreed that the lift are a bit hidden away on lower floors 

3 minutes ago, digbeth said:

There's a big glass elevator on the left in front of the building with view of the park, which I only discovered after making my way up to the top floor, agreed that the lift are a bit hidden away on lower floors 

I arrived on my bike and parked in B2 - after trying to find a motorcycle parking spot for maybe 10min.

Then I made my way up to IKEA through B1, G, GM, M, 1, 2, and finally with another elevator in another area to 3.

When I left IKEA I asked for a lift. They sent me to a faraway corner where I was the only person. They had at least 6 lifts in that area - without any people. I guess they call that "modern design" or something like that. 

On my way out of the lifts in B2 I took a picture where to find the lifts next time. Feel free to also use them, they are empty. ;) 

IMG_20231204_172344.thumb.jpg.322eff73dffd640db016764c59657aab.jpg

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had IKEA meatballs together with soda for something like 160 THB. Great value.

IMG_20231204_163548.thumb.jpg.5f1dff834f0e12e0c956c12958d534fa.jpg

I haven't found a shortcut through the displays to the Restaurant yet, I know there should be way to get to Restaurant from the Entrance, there are one at Bangna 

If they still give free tea/coffee for members and with easy access from Soi 22 with the side entrance the Ikea restaurant could be a popular spot for pensioners (if there's any left in the area) 

If you head over there, go up to the very top floor.   They have got an amazing selection of classic VW Beetles, Karman Ghias, Porsche, Ferrarri, motorcycles.......and what appears to be a couple of the Royal Family Rolls Royces.....early 50's vintage.   Every single one of the cars in in amazing condition.  

The noise level on the first few floors is laughable.....the typical Thai blaring music and just the din of all the people.   But once you get up to the top, it's very quiet and they've got some classical music playing, so pleasant environment to view the cars.

image.thumb.png.e48254b2d6b497ba43394027979ec6a5.png

Edited by madisongy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, madisongy said:

If you head over there, go up to the very top floor.   They have got an amazing selection of classic VW Beetles, Karman Ghias, Porsche, Ferrarri, motorcycles

Thanks for that! I’d previously found the modern supercars on the second floor, but would never have guessed there was also a display of classic cars on the top floor, as the higher floors seemed empty.

On another note, I found my 20 minutes of imprisonment in IKEA quite informative. First time I’d ever been in one, had thought they only sold flat pack furniture. Maybe those with mobility issues should be warned first though.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, madisongy said:

If you head over there, go up to the very top floor.   They have got an amazing selection of classic VW Beetles, Karman Ghias, Porsche, Ferrarri, motorcycles.......and what appears to be a couple of the Royal Family Rolls Royces.....early 50's vintage.   Every single one of the cars in in amazing condition.  

The noise level on the first few floors is laughable.....the typical Thai blaring music and just the din of all the people.   But once you get up to the top, it's very quiet and they've got some classical music playing, so pleasant environment to view the cars.

There's also a Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle on display, sublime

22 hours ago, madisongy said:

Cool, thanks for sharing. Like the other poster above I had found the supercars but by that time I had spent about 7 minutes in the place and had lost the will to live so I left. Couldn't imagine any reason to ever go back (if I want IKEA it's much easier to drive to Bang Na), but now I have one - would like to check those classics out.

2 days ago visited to eat some hotdogs.

No cash payment anymore, the cashier insisted on payment with qr code by phone.

Refuse to be forced to pay by that method so will avoid Ikea in future.

Is it legal that companies can refuse legal tender to pay for things?

16 hours ago, freeworld said:

2 days ago visited to eat some hotdogs.

No cash payment anymore, the cashier insisted on payment with qr code by phone.

Refuse to be forced to pay by that method so will avoid Ikea in future.

Is it legal that companies can refuse legal tender to pay for things?

Did you find it expensive?