Crazy road building.

Kinok Farang

21 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Been watching the new roads being built(sometimes 2or 3 times)in Jomtien over the years with very little improvement.

Most motorists will know that a big percentage of road damage is around the man-hole and grate covers.So why do the Thais insist on building the man-holes (complete with lid)first?Sure the civil engineer will have given them a finished level to work to but it is pretty much impossible to get them right that way.

Why not wait until the road forms are in place,outside and camber then pull two string lines across to get a surface that is millimetre perfect?

All the new roads i see start off with loads of man-holes just stuck up in the air.Idiotic.

That's the way we do it in the states ,here I have seen them paved over and then they come back with 2 man crew and chisel away the blacktop but then they don't outline with tar thus blacktop erodes.  They also don't seem to believe in finish grading and seeding the private property that have disturbed in the process.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/5/2023 at 2:43 PM, scubascuba3 said:

the man holes / drains seem to be purpose built blocks, the only road I know where they are level is Siam Country Club where they did a good job, everywhere else is uneven, Thai logic

It's probably good there because Honda Golf told them a few years ago that if they didn't improve the road they would take the Honda Ladies Golf from Siam Country Club and relocate to a different golf course. At the time the road was probably one of the worst in Pattaya.

• Like 1

So many whys and why-nots, same in road building and basically in all other areas of human activity.

Robots in factories programmed by foreign engineers work good though told one guy who works in such place. 

We all know why. 

• Confused 1

different contractors, the sewer/storm drains is one job, and the re-paving of road surface is by another contractor, and may not even be ordered by the same authorities, the city or water might be able responsible for the drain, but the road is under highways department, and good luck getting Thais to plan things to finish together 

19 hours ago, Seppius said:

2nd road being dug up again, horrendous traffic jams last night

Yeah, I recently noticed it was dug up again near soi Post Office... I had thought it was done, but apparently not, must have been a bit left over!