Extending a Tourist Visa

Looking ahead a little, as a Brit in Chiang Mai on a 60 day tourist visa, and wanting to extend … please share any thoughts or advice.

• ·        The standard extension application is for 30 days and you cannot usually get a second 30 days.

• ·        There is the possibility of a further 7 days but I think the qualifying criteria is restrictive, and discretionary.

• ·        I know there is now the possibility of applying online (for a fee) and it seems an attractive option to save sitting in an Immigration office but any general advice would be appreciated.

• ·        As another option (to gain a few more days before returning to the UK) would a trip to Vietnam, for example, before the end of the 30 day extension period make sense on the basis of then re-entering Thailand and getting another 30 days on a visa-exempt basis?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Not in order. 

You can only obtain one 30 day extension to SETV.

The 7 days in not an extension.

It's more granted for rejection of extension application. 

The idea of trip to Saigon is same as any border run and would would provide another 30 day stamp. 

Very good reason for mini holiday in Vietnam and as you are UK you receive visa exempt entry.

You do not apply online for 30 day extension. 

Simple process to obtain at immigration.

Or use an agent if that's an issue

Edited by DrJack54

On 12/5/2023 at 3:50 PM, tomdfc said:

Looking ahead a little, as a Brit in Chiang Mai on a 60 day tourist visa, and wanting to extend … please share any thoughts or advice.

• ·        The standard extension application is for 30 days and you cannot usually get a second 30 days.

• ·        There is the possibility of a further 7 days but I think the qualifying criteria is restrictive, and discretionary.

• ·        I know there is now the possibility of applying online (for a fee) and it seems an attractive option to save sitting in an Immigration office but any general advice would be appreciated.

• ·        As another option (to gain a few more days before returning to the UK) would a trip to Vietnam, for example, before the end of the 30 day extension period make sense on the basis of then re-entering Thailand and getting another 30 days on a visa-exempt basis?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Pop over to Laos nicer people and country. Come back visa exempt 30 days