U.K. Spouse Visa Financial Requirements.

It is not often referred to.....and I don't know the details (too lazy to find out) ......but saving can be taken into account......I think I read as little as £16k held for six months.....????

Edited by Will B Good

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

It is not often referred to.....and I don't know the details (too lazy to find out) ......but saving can be taken into account......I think I read as little as £16k held for six months.....????

Yes savings is an alternative. If I remember right it was something like £65K without income and something like £5K of savings for every £1K below the income threshold.

If the income goes up almost certain the savings will as well.

Doesn't bode well for pensioners.

Edited by sandyf
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

A British subject, regardless of his income should be permitted to bring a spouse or long term foreign partner to the UK, on a settlement visa. No need EVER to give citizenship to anyone!  Keep them on their toes. Break the law, one strike and bye bye!  Refugees, migrants and others with no ties to the UK, but having skills etc to work in the Uk should be admitted..BUT ALONE. No family

What about British subjects who live and worked overseas and have foreign wives, and are now retired living on the UK frozen pension and maybe an occupational pension? They in the main will be nowhere near the new limits, yet may wish to spend their last years in their native country with their foreign wife.

Do we all have to save up and buy a dinghy and cross the Channel, to ensure we may stay?

SHAME on the UK!

Then come back to the UK, now and contribute to our society.
It sounds like you want your cake and eat it. And by the way, if you try & enter the UK, on a dinghy, very soon, you will be sent to Rwanda without the option to return. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Charlest1971 said:

It sounds like you want your cake and eat it. And by the way, if you try & enter the UK, on a dinghy, very soon, you will be sent to Rwanda without the option to return. 

Why on Earth did the pick Rwanda? They should have picked somewhere like the Ascension Islands, they own it?

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

These are the current guidelines 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1187167/1.7+-+Financial+requirement.pdf

49 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Why on Earth did the pick Rwanda? They should have picked somewhere like the Ascension Islands, they own it?

The Ascension Islands were apparently considered at one stage but not picked due to other concerns.

1 hour ago, supersomchai said:

Now the big question is when the tories lose the next election (most probable) will labour reverse the financial requirement ,or conveniently 

leave it as per the tory plan ?

And that is the question!  I'm hoping this announcement is just to give the extreme right of the Tory party and Brexiters, if there any left,  (e.g. Sunella and even Farage who is making waves with his new party) some red meat before the election.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Sad but not to be unexpected. I am saddened for my Brit Cousins, their government already penalizing them for seeking a working middle class retirement in a lower cost country by not giving them the same pension cost adjustment as those who have stayed in the UK. Fortunately, my SS adjustment goes up along with all other retirees who have paid into the system their entire working life … but I am a Yank (don’t tell the Republicans or they will try to follow the Brit model). Bottom line for both countries (and other western nations) is that they have outpriced their own citizens from retirement in their own countries. When judging the western “capitalist” model versus the Scandinavian more balanced model … well it does give one pause to reflect. Yet another subject for “outsourcing”, send your elderly to lower cost countries. It is working for me her in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And that is the question!  I'm hoping this announcement is just to give the extreme right of the Tory party and Brexiters, if there any left,  (e.g. Sunella and even Farage who is making waves with his new party) some red meat before the election.  

I don’t think Labour will reverse it, they want to reduce the migration figures as well but they won’t commit how they are going to do it as yet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlest1971 said:

If he has a frozen state pension, he has already contributed to British Society through payment of National Insurance.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MicroB said:

If he has a frozen state pension, he has already contributed to British Society through payment of National Insurance.

75000 +currently claiming asylum, how are they going to select the 200 Rwanda are going to take at a cost of £140 million which has now been topped up by another £40 million the other day, expensive ‘digs’ It would be cheaper keeping them in the U.K. ,no way is sending people to Rwanda going to discourage people crossing the channel, very large odds you could be selected to be sent to Rwanda.

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I don’t think Labour will reverse it, they want to reduce the migration figures as well but they won’t commit how they are going to do it as yet. 

In America they play the good cop, bad cop routine to keep people engaged in the democracy (next election is most important ever, you must vote!) but they always keep the policies they really want. Mass immigration is most certainly one of those policies.

9 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

75000 +currently claiming asylum, how are they going to select the 200 Rwanda are going to take at a cost of £140 million which has now been topped up by another £40 million the other day, expensive ‘digs’ It would be cheaper keeping them in the U.K. ,no way is sending people to Rwanda going to discourage people crossing the channel, very large odds you could be selected to be sent to Rwanda.

Maybe not from across the channel

https://order-order.com/2023/12/05/sunaks-rwanda-plan-small-print-includes-uk-accepting-rwandan-refugees/