Christmas Shopping

whophant

Hi all,

I'll be in Chiang Mai this weekend for some Christmas shopping, and was wondering if anybody knew of a gift shop were I might find things like music boxes, nice snow globes, ceramics or other (new, used or antique) western or western-style gifts?

I've found some things at Central, but they tend to be pretty cheaply made - even when they are fairly expensive - and so I'm looking for something a bit nicer.

If anybody knows of any nice gift shops, antique shops or anything similar, I would be most appreciative!

Thanks,

Jim

On 12/7/2023 at 4:19 PM, whophant said:

Hi all,

I'll be in Chiang Mai this weekend for some Christmas shopping, and was wondering if anybody knew of a gift shop were I might find things like music boxes, nice snow globes, ceramics or other (new, used or antique) western or western-style gifts?

You do realise Thailand is predominantly a buddhist country and they don't celebrate Xmas. Not sure who'd you be buying Xmas gifts for, is it another Westerner you plan to give these gifts to?

I believe Thais still go to work, don't have a public holiday and the kids still go to school on Xmas day. You're not in the West anymore so go with the flow of Thailand ;)

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, swm59nj said:

At least the OP has the Christmas spirit.  And can afford to purchase things.  Not the typical miserable poster you will find on the forums. 
I lived in Bangkok.  But I hope the following helps in Chiang  Mai. 

https://chiangmaifamilyguide.com/essential-guide-to-christmas-in-chiang-mai/

What is this Christmas spirit....for most it seems a desire to get a gift they have been ogling and just spending money and buying stuff?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Thailand said:

And you wonder why people are reluctant to post on TV nowadays.

Only the wimps. Some people like Christmas others don't, each to his own. Christmas is more a cultural thing that needs the right atmosphere than a religious festival, there certainly isn't the right atmosphere in the tropics and snow globes are the kitsch equivalent of garden gnomes.

• Sad 2

Def not the White Market in Nimman. Was there last night and didn't see a single Christmas item. No surprise; most of the tourists there are Chinese.

I think you need Bangkok-level foot traffic to not go broke with a quality Christmas knick knack store.  Central Festival was your best shot and Bangkok-wise, it's not a proper mega-mall.