Replacing Chow Soy

roger101

5 minutes ago, V8M8 said:

Sorry exited too early. No havent seen it but there is always Lea and Perrins if Soy Sauce is what you are looking for. 

You're welcome.

If you are confused please ask for some clarification. Don't just sit there stroking your confused button. Bloody annoying!

Edited by V8M8
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, roger101 said:

Can anybody tell me a good replacement for Chow Soy. I like Chinese (English style) and for me Chow Soy was perfect. Searching seems to show good Chinese restaurants but not the English style.

I am sure that I saw somewhere that the Chow Soy cook was retained at the new establishment. so maybe go in and ask.

The bar is now called "Dinky's" I believe.

Edited by Treebeard

3 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Yep.  That is definitely Brit food.

Not one green vegetable in any of them ...and peppers or spring onions don't count!

Why on earth would Peppers and spring onions not count as green veg? I can also clearly see carrot in two of the dishes. Might not been green but still a veg last time I checked. I'm not saying it's health food but let's not be too harsh...... 

On 12/8/2023 at 10:52 PM, V8M8 said:

If you are confused please ask for some clarification. Don't just sit there stroking your confused button. Bloody annoying!

I agree with you, it's one of my pet peeves.

You compose a post which is clear and concise with a full explanation and clowns on here hit the confused button.

Then other clowns see they have hit the confused button and follow suit like sheep.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Keeps said:

Why on earth would Peppers and spring onions not count as green veg? I can also clearly see carrot in two of the dishes. Might not been green but still a veg last time I checked. I'm not saying it's health food but let's not be too harsh...... 

Well peppers are not a vegetable and carrots are not usually green! Pictures aren't clear enough but there might be a sprig of broccoli in there some place. It gets left out for Scots who ask for their version, and replaced by something fried in batter!

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2023 at 10:03 PM, roger101 said:

Can anybody tell me a good replacement for Chow Soy. I like Chinese (English style) and for me Chow Soy was perfect. Searching seems to show good Chinese restaurants but not the English style.

Haven’t tried it myself: https://facebook.com/people/The-Chinese-Takeaway-By-Pimmy/100063615640112/

But recommended elsewhere on this forum 

Edited by NextG

3 minutes ago, Taxi said:

The Chinese Takeaway - By Pimmy is good, you have to order on Facebook and they deliver. Has 5 stars on facebook.  They market the food as UK style Chinese takeaway, lots of pictures on FB.   You need to plan ahead as it won't be at your door in 30 minutes.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063615640112

Already posted… didn’t you notice? 😊

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well peppers are not a vegetable 

OK, I'll give you that but a little pedantic. Tomatoes are also a fruit but I wouldn't have them in a fruit salad. Same applies to bell peppers. 

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

You compose a post which is clear and concise with a full explanation and clowns on here hit the confused button.

Then other clowns see they have hit the confused button and follow suit like sheep.

You said 'clowns' and that is being euphemistic!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keeps said:

OK, I'll give you that but a little pedantic. Tomatoes are also a fruit but I wouldn't have them in a fruit salad. Same applies to bell peppers. 

Tomatoes are botanically fruits because they form from flowers and have seeds, but they are usually considered vegetables in cooking

7 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Tomatoes are botanically fruits because they form from flowers and have seeds, but they are usually considered vegetables in cooking

Yes, the same as bell peppers. That was my point. Nutritionists (and probably chefs)  would class peppers and tomatoes as vegetables.

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

Pimmy's photos look good but where is the menu and price list? An explanation of how to order and an idea of delivery times would be helpful. I'm not one for delivery normally I much prefer to pick up myself.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=855840353213145&set=a.477053097758541&type=3

It’s amongst the pictures 

11 hours ago, Keeps said:

Yes, the same as bell peppers. That was my point. Nutritionists (and probably chefs)  would class peppers and tomatoes as vegetables.

This made me mooch around further and I was surprised to come up with this...

In fact, the US Supreme Court ruled in 1893 that the tomato should be classified as a vegetable on the basis of its culinary applications

Rather odd the Americans aren't they. I think I will ignore their dictate!! If I was to wrap one in breadcrumbs, and deep fry it, would it then be a chicken!

Edited by jacko45k

On 12/10/2023 at 5:31 AM, Scouse123 said:

Think of it as moving down a one way street.

Impart your knowledge and move on. Don't look back at the silly icons.

Pearls before swine(sheep?).

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, roger101 said:

Pimmy's photos look good but where is the menu and price list? An explanation of how to order and an idea of delivery times would be helpful. I'm not one for delivery normally I much prefer to pick up myself.

Message her on Farcebook and find out.  She replies very quickly normally.

However, she is normally closed on Mondays.

Food is good and was my first exposure to British style "Chinese" food.  I have ordered multiple times from her.  It is quite different from US style "Chinese" food.

On 12/9/2023 at 4:15 AM, Keeps said:

In other words, you mean that you put soy sauce on your ketchup, right?

• Confused 1