Border run with ED visa - fee and test on re-entry?

When conducting a border run from Thailand to Cambodia and back on an Ed visa before its expiration, is there a possibility of being asked for additional funds upon re-entry into Thailand to “clear the passport” ?

I'm aware that airports usually conduct language proficiency tests, but I've heard that border crossings might not. Are there specific precautions I should take? My total stay in Thailand with the Ed visa before it expires will be 9 months.

Thanks for any advice! 

Edited by driveout
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, driveout said:

My total stay in Thailand with the Ed visa before it expires will be 9 months.

That sounds like you're currently on an extension based on attending school. In that case, you would need to cancel that extension first, otherwise immigration at a land border won't even allow you to exit.

Is your plan to re-enter Thailand visa exempt?

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That sounds like you're currently on an extension based on attending school. In that case, you would need to cancel that extension first, otherwise immigration at a land border won't even allow you to exit.

Is your plan to re-enter Thailand visa exempt?

Won’t it cancel when I exit Thailand? How do I cancel it? Yes that’s my plan to re-enter and get tourist visa.

thanks for your response 

26 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Which land border do you intend to use? Some are friendlier than others

I guess  that's how a diplomat would describe things,      One in particular is downright hostile, whilst others,  Chong Chom / O'smach  for example, are actually quite friendly,  300 baht to come straight back , think of it as a tip

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

The extension needs to be formally canceled by the immigration office that issued it. You'll need a letter from your school stating on which date your studies will end. Then you'll need to take that letter to the immigration office and they'll cancel your extension effective that date. You should obviously go there a few days before, to give you time to exit the country without overstaying.

Which land border do you intend to use? Some are friendlier than others, and if you want to return on the same day, you also need to bribe Cambodian immigration to let you exit without an overnight stay.

Depending on where you are located, using a border run service might be your best option to avoid any hassle at the border. 

Thanks for your response. I am not sure, which one should I take? I am in Pattaya now, so the closest best I guess. 

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

I guess  that's how a diplomat would describe things,      One in particular is downright hostile, whilst others,  Chong Chom / O'smach  for example, are actually quite friendly,  300 baht to come straight back , think of it as a tip

Sounds like a good option, is there any good close to pattaya? I heard a story that someone paying 10000 baht to clear there passport, what the meaning of that and is that a thing? 

7 hours ago, DrJoy said:

If you exit Thailand without a re entry permit, your extension of stay is automatically cancelled.

True(ish), it is invalidated but not cancelled, but if you ever want another extension again, there will be major problems if you have not cancelled the previous extension

Edited by bigt3116
add info
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

True(ish), it is invalidated but not cancelled, but if you ever want another extension again, there will be major problems if you have not cancelled the previous extension

From the horses mouth -

Re-entry Permit

An alien who is permitted to stay in the Kingdom temporarily, if traveling out of the Kingdom without making Re-entry, it will be considered that the permission to stay in the Kingdom is terminated.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/re-entry-permit/

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, driveout said:

I'm aware that airports usually conduct language proficiency tests,

There is no "test at the borders (air or land) to get back into the country ESPECIALLY seeing as what you're doing is getting OFF an existing ED visa extension and comin' in as a 'tourist' on a free 30 day entry stamp..

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Careful spouting off on stuff you might or might not know anything about @DrJoy,

Simply exiting on an ED visa extension DOES NOT officially cancel the extension (no matter what you posted saying otherwise)

I have only stated whats on the immigration website-

Re-entry Permit

An alien who is permitted to stay in the Kingdom temporarily, if traveling out of the Kingdom without making Re-entry, it will be considered that the permission to stay in the Kingdom is terminated.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/re-entry-permit/

14 hours ago, driveout said:

I'm aware that airports usually conduct language proficiency tests, but I've heard that border crossings might not. Are there specific precautions I should take? My total stay in Thailand with the Ed visa before it expires will be 9 months

If you were on a muay Thai ed visa, would immigration want to fight you?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

I have only stated whats on the immigration website-

And I only stated how it really works in REAL life at the land borders on ED visa extensions :):smile:

The O/P could FLY out without cancelling that extension before hand and have no problem getting or OR flying back in but they are highly unlikely to get out by a land crossing on an "open" ED visa extension

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

And there are more than a couple borders that won't let people back in to thailand who bounce out, instead they tell them to slog to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap and fly back. 

Thanks for you amazing answer. Can recommend me a border that is safe for bounce back? Maybe close to pattaya 

5 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

There is no "test at the borders (air or land) to get back into the country ESPECIALLY seeing as what you're doing is getting OFF an existing ED visa extension and comin' in as a 'tourist' on a free 30 day entry stamp..

They are testing your skills to see if you really did study thai for example, since there is a lot of students just do it for it he visa 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2023 at 4:30 AM, Tod Daniels said:

Careful spouting off on stuff you might or might not know anything about @DrJoy,

Simply exiting on an ED visa extension DOES NOT officially cancel the extension (no matter what you posted saying otherwise). :smile:

In order for people on an ED visa extension to bounce out and back like @driveout wants to they need to get documentation from their school saying they stop studying on xxx date (usually the day the extension expires), go to the immigration office that issued the extension about a week before that date, CANCEL the extension, immigrations will give them a stamp that lets them stay until the date on the paperwork from the school.. That's how you "officially" cancel an ED visa extension 

THEN they can leave any time up to or on that date...

There are more than a few land borders that won't even let people on ED visa extension stamp OUT of the country without having cancelled it officially at the immigration office beforehand. And there are more than a couple borders that won't let people back in to thailand who bounce out, instead they tell them to slog to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap and fly back. 

What it sounds like the O/P wants to do is just bounce out and back to get NOT a tourist visa (seeing as you can't get tourist visas at the border :sad: but on a new free 30 day entry stamp.. <- called a visa exempt entry..

They say they're in pattaya SO they should FIRST cancel the extension they're on, and THEN look for a SERVICE that runs people to the border. The services that do that already have the wheels greased at the border they take their clients to so people can stamp out of thailand, stamp in&out of Cambodia and then stamp right back in to thailand after that.. Trying to do it by themselves to "save a few baht" is gonna be like watching a slow motion train wreck 

lets say i cancel my ed visa so my last day to stay is util 1 mars and fly to cambodia and come back to thailand on land thru boarder by my self without any agency, will that be an issue?