Parent’s tutor requirements spark online debate over Rajabhat University

webfact

I have a Thai friend with a son who is at Silpakorn University, they asked me if I could help with a project he is doing.

I asked where/what is he studying, the answer was Faculty of Education.. age 21

After a few texts he came to meet me... he could not speak one word of English.. not even hello.

Mobile translation app only.

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Graduates of any Thai  educational institution would be suspect .

really? several of my thai friend graduated from TU, CU and ABAC, most have gone on to study master degrees in UK or US universities, in a second language i might add. have you/could you match that? thought not.

as well as displaying your ignorance, such relentless, unsubstantiated thai bashing from people such as yourself becomes tedious after a while

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I have a Thai friend with a son who is at Silpakorn University, they asked me if I could help with a project he is doing.

I asked where/what is he studying, the answer was Faculty of Education.. age 21

After a few texts he came to meet me... he could not speak one word of English.. not even hello.

Mobile translation app only.

I have hired 5 Silprakorn graduates, and all were excellent employees.

All spoke English. Some better than others, but all sufficient for work.

That said, universities here could all use some improvement.

10 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Damn right, waste of money and time.

An is correct.

An goes before a vowel sound, not a vowel. 

I'm not a teacher, but learned that in elementary school. 

Maybe get your Chula educated kid to teach you elementary school English. :) 

Poor parents :jap: ... lot's of criticism and scrutiny

“Looking for a home tutor for English. The child is seven years old and is located in Si Racha. I want someone who didn’t graduate from Rajabhat, everyone else is fine.”

Should have simply asked for a native English speaker ... rookie "social media" mistake as that appears to be what they wanted.

Edited by expat_4_life

45 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

An is correct.

He wrote 'a'

I corrected it with 'an'

Thank you for endorsing my correction 🤡 

Edited by FruitPudding

This "university" is just a business...a diploma mill!

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

Graduates of any Thai  educational institution would be suspect .

I disagree absolutely on your point...certainly many private institutions are suspect at best....but most of the big name public universities are quite good and turn out good graduates.

However...the level of proxy students is quite alarming in Thailand. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, it is what it is said:

really? several of my thai friend graduated from TU, CU and ABAC, most have gone on to study master degrees in UK or US universities, in a second language i might add. have you/could you match that? thought not.

as well as displaying your ignorance, such relentless, unsubstantiated thai bashing from people such as yourself becomes tedious after a while

So they do have to study in the UK or US? Why not Thailand?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

This "university" is just a business...a diploma mill!

I disagree absolutely on your point...certainly many private institutions are suspect at best....but most of the big name public universities are quite good and turn out good graduates.

However...the level of proxy students is quite alarming in Thailand. 

I understand, but having worked in Thai companies for 30 years, I am often left with choosing the Thai candidate who did a masters in the USA or U.K. I do admit that Chula Arts graduates are a preference when only a bachelor degree and good communication skills are required.

I am sure there are good graduates, but have you ever wondered why Thailand is still a developing economy? If not poor education, then what?

The parent, looking for an English tutor for their seven year old, stated:

“Looking for a home tutor for English. The child is seven years old and is located in Si Racha. I want someone who didn’t graduate from Rajabhat, everyone else is fine.”

Deer pairent, I failed all mi corsez at rajabat univercity sew dident gradyooate in inglish or eneefing els. Can I have the job az tyooter for yor kid pleez!

Edited by MartinL

On 12/12/2023 at 1:19 PM, Asquith Production said:

Knowing people who have taught at Rajabhat University I can see why. The students never fail no matter how bad they are.

NO student can fail in Thailand, This is a common thread throughout the entire school system, from the little ones to the big ones, and one of the cornerstones of why the educational system is so effed up.

On 12/12/2023 at 2:32 PM, it is what it is said:

what is  your problem with @Purdey expressing his opinion of the thai education system? dont you follow the news? thailand ranks way down at the bottom of the pit. you dont think that correlates with the quality of the teachers and education system? 

bleeding hearts as yourself become utmost tedious at all times. it is what it is, innit?

• Agree 1

On 12/12/2023 at 9:37 AM, JeffersLos said:

An is correct.

Perhaps parents are afraid that Rajabhat University will not provide sufficient education? Or are there other considerations? This is a very strange situation. If I were my parents, I simply wouldn’t look for tutors. I recently asked for a write critical analysis essay, found a guide on critical analysis writing and was pleased. Maybe it will help them as it did me. Most likely the problem is still in the child, do not forget about it.

It is important to understand that choosing a tutor is a personal decision, but associating it with a specific university can be controversial. Although this is a personal matter.

Edited by markhines