Fire at Bristol Airport - 11 vehicles - Sunday 10th December

'Gloucs live' reports, "a question mark surrounds the exact cause of yesterday's fire, with Avon Fire and Rescue Service stating on Sunday afternoon that "accidental ignition" was to blame. When asked what type of vehicle was responsible for the fire, Bristol Airport said the cause is "not known at this stage". https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/regional-news/mystery-over-bristol-airport-fire-8966687

I really wonder what "accidental ignition" means, (not much more than NO arson is suspected, I guess).

Following the Luton fire, the Fire Officer commented the blaze was started by a diesel. Footage from Luton (the DT) showed a Range Rover (?) on fire in the aisle, with flames coming from the position of it's hybrid battery and the flames a different colour from a diesel burn. I haven't seen any further comment from the Fire Brigade beyond that initial comment. Without prejudging Luton, I wonder what happened at Bristol ?

At Bristol it was an open air, not a multi-storey car park - might it have been worse?

Geoff buys cars and his fellow cynic on the Bristol fire https://youtu.be/E1DsxEU5VJo

As for MO, there were plenty of eye witnesses so surely someone SAW which of the 11 cars was burning first. Was it windy - which way did the wind blow - surely it's NOT difficult to know where it started !!

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

I really wonder what "accidental ignition" means

Spontaneous combustion?

Or that Avon Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson too cowardly to just say "We don't know" or "It was an EV" ?

Edited by Lee65
  • Haha 1

It has been reported in the UK media that owners of cars damaged at Luton have had their insurance claims rejected. Insurance companies are saying that responsibility rests with the Luton airport insurance company. Interestingly the airport car park has the usual "cars parked at owners risk" signs.