Electroic Talking Dictionay

GWH

I am thinking about purchasing an electronic talking dictionary. I have read much about the Lingo line of them and am looking for some prcatical experience and not marketing hype.

There are some that claim that you can speak english into it and it will speak translated thai back. and vise versa! I would like to hear if any one has actually used one of these. There are several models and range in price of 400 - 800 USD.

GWH

I am thinking about purchasing an electronic talking dictionary. I have read much about the Lingo line of them and am looking for some prcatical experience and not marketing hype.

There are some that claim that you can speak english into it and it will speak translated thai back. and vise versa! I would like to hear if any one has actually used one of these. There are several models and range in price of 400 - 800 USD.

GWH

I have the model MD-88, which should be, based on price, toward the upper end of the range. It does not do what you have described. In fact it only "talks" in English, at least with the software that comes with the device, and that is after you have keyed in (or selected) a Thai lookup word. So you do not get the benefit of Thai pronunciation. And you do have to be able to read and type Thai in order to use it - it does not do transliteration. I consider that as an advantage, because I'm one of those who believe that learning the Thai script is an essential and early part of learning the language. It was one of the first things I did and I've felt well-served by the effort I put into that.

I use mine regularly and have found it to be a worthwhile addition to my learning tools. When I'm home, around my book collection, I will tend to use the larger and more extensive printed dictionaries, but when I'm out and about I prefer to have the TD with me. Mine is pretty much a constant companion, and it is rare that it will not have a word I'm looking for, even idiomatic expressions (though not slang).

For me the TD is kind of a companion to what I consider my main learning tool, which is the Moleskine reporter's notebook. I'm on my third one (I fill them up in about 6 months) and I write down (in Thai) everything that I can capture from conversations, signs, radio, or anything else. I seem to require writing things down in order to acquire the vocabulary, and the use of these notebooks helps me do that, as well as providing an invaluable entry point into conversations with lots of Thai people - because I will ask ANYONE how to write/spell something, and they always enjoy looking over my shoulder at what I'm writing and what I've written. You have to be a little cautious, however, if you are the kind of person who is a magnet for slang and off-color remarks. Obviously I am such a person, or I would not have given you the warning. :o

Bottom line: They are expensive tools. In Thailand you can build a complete library for the price of a good color screen TD. I recommend doing both if you have the means.

S.

...because I will ask ANYONE how to write/spell something, and they always enjoy looking over my shoulder at what I'm writing and what I've written.

You are a brave man! Always be sure to double check the spelling given to you. I have often found that many Thai people do not spell so well. Where does one obtain the Moleskine notebook of which you speak?

Edited by TheChiefJustice

...because I will ask ANYONE how to write/spell something, and they always enjoy looking over my shoulder at what I'm writing and what I've written.

You are a brave man! Always be sure to double check the spelling given to you. I have often found that many Thai people do not spell so well. Where does one obtain the Moleskine notebook of which you speak?

I'm not that brave, I just don't have much in the way of better alternatives... I always go home and cross-reference with the dictionary anyway, so the information I get will at least generally get me in the right section of the dictionary...

The Moleskines are available at a little homewares shop on the third floor of Siam Paragon, right next door to the Starbucks. I'm sorry, I don't recall its name, but it is a very modernish little shop to the right of Starbucks as you stand outside looking in.

The Moleskines are just incredible. I carry them in the back pocket, often, of sweaty jeans, or in steamy little backpacks, and they are nearly indestructible. They are expensive, though they were on sale when I was there last for around 560B. I believe I normally paid around 800, but then the baht was higher too... They run around $15-18 and are worth it.