Question on Child helping without work permit

Dear All,

In the New Year my grand-daughter [9 year old UK citizen] will be visiting my wife and I for a 2 week holiday.

Here in Thailand our daughter-in-law [mine by reason of marriage] has a small bakery making cakes, biscuits and similar things.  She has offered my grand-daughter the opportunity to work with her for a day making the things and then to help her on her stall in the local market to sell them.  My grand-daughter is very keen on cooking and baking at home back in the UK.  This is an education and experience opportunity in my opinion and my grand-daughter is quite excited about it. 

I know that farangs cannot work without a permit but can anyone see what could happen if she did help on the market stall for a few hours?  Where I live there are very, very few farangs and it would be noticed immediately.

I would appreciate any opinions.

I would think that a work permit is the least of your worries here. As you say, playing/education etc.

The only very slight worry might be a jealous 'concerned citizen' complaining to the police about possible child labour.

Your D-I-L would be able to handle that one. It is just the granddaughter 'playing'.

• Like 1

Minimum age for a WP is, I believe, 15 anyway.

Out of public view making the stuff, I would think zero issues.

On the stall, maybe just sit and look interested, if you're really worried?

On the whole I'm with @Tropicalevo I very much doubt there would be an issue other than the locals fawning over the "pretty young lady" which I'm sure she will like a lot.

The first time my UK granddaughters came over (they were 5 and 3), both blue-eyed, blonde-haired, English Roses. We took them to meet madam's family in Pha-Chi. They were both promptly whisked off by Madam's sister to be paraded round the village and spoiled rotten by every woman in sight!

• Thumbs Up 1