Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Renew 2 year licence to 5 year, timeframe?

sanook 1

6 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

How long can you let your 1st 2 year DL expire? 

Expire date and Birthdate differs 3 months.

1 year, according to the motor office. However, I am not sure the insurance will cover in that period. **

I have sort of the opposite problem. Last year I got a two year license because I was on a tourist visa. Now I am on a proper visa and should be able to get a five year licence - but how long before the expiration date can I apply for a new licence? I still got +1 year on the licence.

** Sorry, didn't realize that you asked about the 1st 2 year licence. My answer is for a 5 year licence. I am not sure it is the same for a 2 year licence.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2023 at 11:00 PM, farang51 said:

My answer is for a 5 year licence. I am not sure it is the same for a 2 year licence.

2 & 5 year have the same expiry rules, renewal 3 months before and one year after expiration.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 11:32 AM, MJCM said:

True. My wife recently renewed her licenses after her birthday and she got almost 6 years validity. 

Update:

A friend of mine, renewed his license yesterday a couple of days after his birthday, and his new license is valid until his Birthday in 2030. So indeed almost 6 years

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, sanook 1 said:

2 year temporary driving licence is about to expire/time to renew to 5 years validity. I heard that by doing it after my birthday(instead of before) will give me almost 6 years? Can someone confirm true or not? 

Yes. I did that a few years ago. 

• Thumbs Up 1